cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't read digital channels as physical on USB 6008

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

Sorry for maybe a dumb question but I am stuck and can't find the solution.

I cannot read my digital outputs from my USB 6008 as physical channels but only as global channels. Is this normal? What can I do to get around this?

Thanks, any help is very appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,733 Views)

Hi Peluche,

What do you mean when you say you can only read your digital outputs as global channels rather than physical channels? Global channels typically have to be created with the DAQ Assistant or in MAX, while physical channels are just the terminals or pins you use to generate/ measure a signal.

Are you using LabVIEW or MAX? If LabVIEW, are you using the DAQ Assistant or the DAQmx API VIs? What happens if you create a constant to the "lines" input of the DAQmx Create Channel (Digital Output).vi? Is it possible for you to attach some screenshots showing the behavior?

Lastly, I believe the USB 6008 has 12 bidirectional DIO lines. Does this only happen with digital output or do you see this behavior with digital input as well? Again, screenshots would be very helpful.

Regards

Josh Y.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,711 Views)

Hi,

yes you're right screenshots would help! So here they are.

So first the problem is not with the DAQ assistant nor MAX, they see all my channels fine. So the way USB6008 is made is that there are 8 analog channels labelled a0 to a7, and then there are like 14 lines on 2 ports for digital i/o (or something like that)

So if you look at the first screenshot, the list of physical channels are just the analog ones. Look at the third screenshot, even if I hit browse I have no option to select anything else.

The second screenshot is just to show you that with global channel I can browse whatever I want and select any channel I want using MAX and it works.

So my question is how do I get my list of digital I/O (so port and lines) in my physical channel list? I know it's possible because I have copied and paste it from other codes and it has worked, but when I try to do it myself it doesn't.

Thanks for the help!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,700 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Peluche

dig.png

Message 4 of 6
(5,685 Views)

Oooh thank you very much, I had no idea that this was the way to do it.

Well thanks again and sorry for wasting your time with such trivial question, but the help really is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,676 Views)

@Peluche wrote:

Oooh thank you very much, I had no idea that this was the way to do it.

Well thanks again and sorry for wasting your time with such trivial question, but the help really is greatly appreciated.

no problem...as long as it helps. it is not wasting time. please mark as solution and kudos those who have helped Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
(5,670 Views)