From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use a cRIO-9474 module as a low side switch?

A setup I want to test applies continuous 12V to the hot side of the device and controls it by switching ground.  The only nearly-suitable module I have available is a cRIO-9474.  Looking at the data sheet schematic, it seems as though I could use this module to switch ground by connecting Vsup to my system ground and DO to the device.  However, the specs list the min Vsup as 5V.  Does this approach sound feasible, or will I mess up the switching transistors by connecting Vsup to ground?

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,015 Views)

Hello, Jeff!

I think the best approach would be to use a cDAQ relay module such as the 9485 or 9481. These will allow you to directly control a relay, and can handle the voltages you're working with. Please let us know if you have further questions on these, or if there is a reason they won't work for your application.

Have a great weekend!

Will Hilzinger | Switch Product Support Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,003 Views)

I need the speed of the RIO 9474, so I'll have to glue in some additional parts in order to use it.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,996 Views)

Look at the ULN200x series of drivers.  One of those may be suitable for your needs.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,991 Views)