From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the C interface routines of a USB-6501 with a Raspberry Pi?

I have a USB-6501 that I have used with my own C code in Windows. I would like to port that code to run on a (Raspbian) Raspberry Pi, but I can't seem to find any driver sets that will work. I found a demo program from a few years ago that can run on a Pi, but nothing I can use with my own code.

Are there any drivers? Or is there a way to get the driver library compiled for a Pi? I have another (non-NI) piece of USB hardware for which I was able to recompile the driver library on the Pi, and it is working fine.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,447 Views)

Hi jkruep,

I don't know if this device is supported for sure, based off of this forum post:

USB protocol of the USB-6001

But here are some links that might help get you started with more research to see if that post is out of date or wrong: 

Low Cost USB DAQ Driver for use with Raspberry Pi®

Getting Your RPi Ready For C Programming

NI-DAQmx Base 3.x C Function Reference Help.pdf

I hope this gives you a good starting point.

Regards,

G-IV

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,428 Views)

Thanks for the reply, G-IV.

I hadn't found that first link before (USB protocol of the USB-6001). It eventually led to a hardware driver development set, which I looked at for a little while. I'm not sure I really want to go that far into it, though.

I had seen the second link previously0.(Low Cost USB DAQ Driver for use with Raspberry Pi®) I installed it, and it works as it it supposed to. But it seems like just a couple demo programs, and doesn't include the source routines or compiled raspberry pi libraries I would need for my system.

I guess I may just have to abandon my USB-6501 for this purpose.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,399 Views)