From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Stamp Question

I think my first post looked like I was selling a Basic Stamp, I'm not.   I have this question:

I purchased a Basic Stamp in 1995 on the advice of the local high school electronics teacher. I got busy and he got busy and we never got my tachometer project built.  I have more time for this now and would like to use the Stamp. Is there a time limit to which the stamp will "keep it's program" . Do microcontrollers need to "keep a charge" to be usable. This stamp is still unopened in the original "cellophane" If I plug a 9v battery into it will I be able to tell if it is still usable. I am new to programming and the stamp didn't come with any instructions. The teacher has moved on but I'm finding lots of help on these forums. Any advice would be  appreciated.

Hobartboy  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,476 Views)

Hi, I just connected a Basic Stamp to labview. Are you still pursuing this?

Steve Aldrich

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,574 Views)

His last posts were in April of last year.  It is pretty safe to assume he is no longer frequenting these forums.

This is why we suggest opening a new thread to seek advice rather than revive an old thread.  Most of the active users tend to ignore revived threads as the question you have is likely entirely different than the original question posed.  It sounds like you want to interface with LabVIEW.  The original poster just wanted to know if the device would be expected to work out of the box after ten years of sitting in the box.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,549 Views)

I don't have any question. I was offering to help the original poster. I don't understand your comment to me. I searched NI.com for "basic stamp" and found only one item. So I made a reply

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,533 Views)
When you said 'Are you still pursuing this', I for one had no idea if you were offering help or asking for some.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,523 Views)

Steve,

Bo may not be, but I am quite interested in a method to simulate BasicStamp functions Multisim. I have used a number os basic stamps to design things like water controllers; but ive never been able to simulate their operation in multisim. Any work you've done would be of significant interest to me.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,487 Views)

Steve,

Bo may not be, but I am quite interested in a method to simulate BasicStamp functions Multisim. I have used a number os basic stamps to design things like water controllers; but ive never been able to simulate their operation in multisim. Any work you've done would be of significant interest to me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,483 Views)

I wrote a very simple basic stamp program to write to the serial port so that I could prove that my labview program was correctly reading from a serial port. We have a very old machine that talks to a DOS based program which I am replacing with a labview program. We actually have 2 of these machines and my labview program works with one, but not the other. I wanted to show that is was a hardware problem with the machine I was trying to talk to, not my program. So, I showed that I could communicate with the basic stamp.

So my experince amounts to, "I can connect a Basic Stamp with labview, and get them to talk to each other."

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,452 Views)
Dirt boy, thanks for the feedback. We're you able to map functions to the io pins?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,443 Views)

I only wrote text to the serial port. I have written other programs to enable the pins, but they were stand alone programs with no communication with a computer, beyond the upload from the PC.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,388 Views)