cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6509 API

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have used the NI DAQ 6509 PCI card in my Dell Power Edge 860 server for years now, albeit with a PCI-X riser installed.

Works great.

I need to update my servers.

Possibly to the newer Dell Power Edge R230 which only has a riser with PCIe slots.

Therefore, I will need to replace my DAQ PCI-6509 card to the newer PCIe-6509.

Will I be able to use the same API calls in my code to detects signals with ths new PCI-6509e card?

API calls such as:

DAQmxCreateTask()

DAQmxCreateDIChan()

DAQmxStartTask()

DAQmxReadDigitalLines()

DAQmxStoptask

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,184 Views)

Yes, it is still just using the DAQmx API.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(4,178 Views)

I have upgraded my development platform from Server 2003 to Server 2012.

Therefore I needed to uipdate my NI drivers.

I have downloaded and installed version 15.5 NI drivers on my Windows 7 64 michine as required by NI to support Server 2012.

I have converted a VB6 project using .NET framework 2 to VS2010 with .NET framework 3.5 .

My new VS2010 project references C:\windows\SYSWOW64\nidaqmx.tlb file producing a namespace for me called NIDAQmxCAPI which I import.

API calls such as:  

DAQmxCreateTask()

DAQmxCreateDIChan()

DAQmxStartTask()

DAQmxReadDigitalLines()

DAQmxStoptask

are no longer available to me.  Where can I find them?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,911 Views)

I wrote a VisualBasic app years ago in VS6/VB6 on a Server 2003 OS that communicated nicely with a PCI-6509 card.

I upgraded that machine to Server 2008 OS and installed v9.1 NI drivers and there were no issues communicating with the PCI-6509 card.

I now have a new machine with Server 2012 OS and installed v15.5 NI drivers as recommended.

The VS6/VB6 app has been upgraded to VS2010 using .NET Framework 3.5 and is running on the Server 2012 machine.

NI API calls were previously accessible via a VS6 reference to the C:\windows\SYSWOW64\nidaqmx.tlb  on my Server 2003/2008 machines.

The same API calls such as  DAQmxCreateTask() are not available to me using VS2010 and the same reference and the provided namespace.

Where can I find them if not where they used to be?

Are they not available on a Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit machine when using VS2010 with .NET framework 3.5 ? 

I tried switching the VS2010 solution's target Framework to 4.0 which I also have installed but it did not resolve the issue.

Anybody know where to find DAQmxCreateTask() in NI release 15.5?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,901 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author willpfeiff

Found documentation I needed @ http://www.ni.com/example/6999/en/

That pointed me to DOT NET examples.

That pointed me to  ProgramFiles(X86) \ NationalInstruments \ MeasurementStudioVS2010 \ DOTNet \ Assemblies \ Curent \ NationalInstruments.DAQmx.dll

I added this dll as a reference into my VS2010 project

Then I had to set my VS2010 target framework to 4.0 which was reqiured by the new dll.

Now I have access to complimentary .NET calls to accomplish what I was doing in VS6/VB6

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,875 Views)