Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

+5V On sbRIO 9636

I have the sbRIO 9636 and on J502,DIO connector the two +5v pins are not outputing any voltage. Is there someone command I am suppose to send to get the +5v to give off 5volts? I tried it on other sbRIO 9636 and it seems like a common occurance so I do not believe the pins are blown out. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(7,135 Views)

Hi,

I am a little confused by your question. Are you wondering how to output +5V from the sbRIO on one of the D I/O lines? Or are you connected to another device and are wondering what command to send to it to output +5V?

If it is the first case, the sbRIO will be able to output a maximum of 3.465 V out on one of the digital lines (see page 48 of the Operating Instructions and Specifications). Since we are looking for 5V, we would have to amplify this signal from 3.3 to get to 5 V. Then we would just have to write TRUE to the desired digital line. If it is the second case, then it would be dependent upon the device in question. Generally, they have programming manuals that specify what commands need to be sent.

------------------------------
Bill E. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,090 Views)

Hi Bill,

I think RachSmith is trying to use the +5V supply voltage available on the J502 connector on the sbRIO-9636.  That Single-Board RIO device provides a +5V rail for powering user circuitry.

RachSmith,

You should not need to do anything special in hardware or software to enable those pins.  They output +5V when the Single-Board RIO is powered.  I'll suggest some debug steps:

Do you see the green power LED illuminated on the front of the board?  Is the status LED illuminated or flashing?  Is the board appear to be otherwise functional other than the +5V pins?  How are you measuring the voltage on those pins?  Are you measuring relative to the GND pins on the same connector or somewhere else on the board?  I don't know if those voltage supply pins have any protection or a fuse that could have tripped.  Is is possible that these pins were shorted to GND or damaged?  Are you probing the pins directly, or is a connector/cable plugged into the port?  If something is connected, remove it and attempt to probe the pins directly.  This one is also obvious but I have to say it... double check that you are referencing pin 1 correctly and probing the right pins on the connector.  

Let the group know how your investigation goes.

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,081 Views)

All the status LEDs are the right colors. I am trying to program the sbRIO with the C API interface. I am trying to run it in a Ubuntu terminal. All the other pins are funcitonal except the two +5 pins on the connector.   

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,024 Views)

Hi,

I will use the +5V supply voltage available on the J502 connector on the sbRIO-96-36.

What is the maximum output current available on the pin 49/50?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,862 Views)

Hi DomHardy,

The pins are rated up to 1.5 Amps.

Andrew T.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,843 Views)

Hi, 

I have experienced the same problem. There is no 5V out at the pin. Is this mean the pin has damaged? How is it possible to reapair it. 

Seeks helps,

Zahari

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,701 Views)

Hey Zahari,

If you're sure the board is damaged and not properly outputting 5V on the pin after testing it with a multimeter, you'd probably want to get in touch with us to troubleshoot and repair the device. See link below. 

How Do I Send in a National Instruments Board for Repair or Calibration?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/5B6448ED65EA711186256A3700800C67

For the record, this thread is rather old so you may have better luck posting a new thread in the future.

Eden K
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,688 Views)

Dear Eden,

Thanks for your reply. I  managed to troubleshoot and the board and it is back to work. The rootcause was the fuse chip burn due to short circuit. After replaced the fuse chip, then the board is fully functional. Thank you.

Rgds,

Zahari

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,656 Views)