NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

Development and Deployment Practices

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ninjaphil

Preventing User Access to Windows while running a LabVIEW Application

Please provide feedback, comments, and questions on the Reference Design for Preventing User Access to Windows while running a LabVIEW Application in this thread.
Maverick...
0 Kudos

Re: Preventing User Access to Windows while running a LabVIEW Application

Hi,

Very good work...

But 1 thing I'm getting error -604 while re-initializing the Registers, i.e, I can't enable the task manager using the utility. Start up program is changing.

I want to know whether this will improve the performance of our application. I've tried with my application, but I didn't get any improvement in performance.

Awaiting your reply

Thanks & Regards,

Sree

Into the pursuit...
Maverick
Trusted Enthusiast
rolfk
0 Kudos

In order to change those registry keys you most probably will need admin privileges as it says at some point. Especially in Vista this will almost 120% be locked down for non admin privileged users and probably in XP too.

As to performance, what has this to do with performance. Your computer does not get faster when certain features are locked out. It simply prevents the user from accessing the rest of Windows, so that the only interface to the system is whatever you provide in your application.

Rolf Kalbermatter
CIT Engineering Netherlands
a division of Test & Measurement Solutions
LabVIEW ArchitectLabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Instructor
Active Participant
Vladimir_Drzik
0 Kudos

This utility is great, but also very dangerous. Once you accidentally run it on your default administrator's account and the replacement app doesn't support reverting, you might easily lock access to your machine. At least this is how I understand it. Could you recommend any solution if such a situation happens?

View my profile on LinkedIn
Trusted Enthusiast
rolfk

You can try starting up in safe mode. Or use the Windows installer CD to boot from.
Rolf Kalbermatter
Active Participant
Vladimir_Drzik
0 Kudos

Rolf,

Interesting idea, never tried that... Are you allowed to modify other account's registry settings from the safe mode? Or from the command line after booting form the installer CD?

View my profile on LinkedIn
Trusted Enthusiast
rolfk

I know that I tried it with safe mode and was able to change the local default login settings. Not sure about general access to any of the other accounts.

Another option I built into my application locked down like that, was to have a special button in my configuration dialog after a special password login (with a password being always necessary to get into the configuration) and this button cleared the registry settings (changed the VIs as found on the NI site to clear everything cleanly if called without any parameters). Also another button starts explorer.exe. In Explorer you can rename the executable that you have assigned as shell executable (deleting doesn't work since it is locked down from being an executing program). Then restart!

When Windows can't find the user specific shell executable it will fall backto the one set in the local machine registry hive.

Rolf Kalbermatter
Josu_Garaia
0 Kudos

Good Morning !

I' m a begginer in labview enviroment, and I need a help with this program. I am trying to program a pwm for FPGA comparing a triangular wave with sinusoidal wave. It is for 5 level converter, so i need to compare 4 triangulars with sinusoidal reference. This is what i have done.

Thank you

Knight of NI
RavensFan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Your message as absolutely nothing to do with the message thread you posted in.  This thread is over 2-1/2 years old.  And you are unlikely to get much help here because this board is off the beaten path.  Not many people follow up.

You need to post your message in the LabVIEW forum.  And be sure to include more description in your message.  Like asking a specific question and telling where you are stuck.

Active Participant sth
Active Participant
sth
0 Kudos

Well I found the path less travelled!   The referenced article is very clear on how to set up the windows environment correctly.  But my question for the experts in all things windows is what version of windows does this article refer to.  It was written in 2010 so I assume it holds for XP. Now that NI is pushing Win7E systems are the registry keys the same?  Does the article need updating?