From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Developer Center Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI PackageManager - vip package depends on setup.exe

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I want to build a package for ToolsNetwork.

My problem is, that this vip package depends on installing a setup.exe.

Can I use the dependencies to install the setup.exe automatically from ToolsNetwork when the vip package will be installed? - See screenshot VI Package Builder Dependencies.png.
Such dependencies e.g. are done in the Package NI I2C Host Example for the PXIe-5644/45R/46R which can be installed by using the VI Package Manager. - See screenshot NI I2C Dependencies.png
Is this procedure also available for the setup.exe?

If yes, has the setup.exe to be officially released and opened for the public on ToolsNetwork to choose the setup.exe in the dropdown box of the VI Package Builder Dependencies.png?

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(8,396 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author a.metz

The drop-down dependency selection only works for dependencies on other VI packages (.vip files) published to an available repository--typically, either on the Tools Network, JKI package repo, or an offline repository.  Standard Windows installers are not available from this drop-down, as they are not available through the same repositories as VI packages and use a different installation framework for Windows.  Typically, we see users list the non-.vip installer dependency in their installation requirements, and they then identify these install requirements in the Package Description field to instruct the user of the dependency on a driver, toolkit, etc.  We also often see links to download pages in some cases, to help the customer out with finding an installer on the web.

If this is a device driver installer (like dpinst.exe for installing .INF device drivers) or some sort of IP you own and distribute, you could also look into including the installer with your VI Package and then launching it during install through use of a Custom Action VI (see here for details:VI Package Manager: Custom Installation Options).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(8,348 Views)

Thanks for the clarification.

Now I pack the setup.exe into a vip.

I call a Post-Install Custom Action VI to start the Setup.exe automatically.

But the Pre-Uninstall Action is strange. Because the Setup.exe is definitively already uninstalled when the Pre-Uninstall Action will be processed. - So I can not call the Setup.exe to uninstall the program.

Is this a bug in VIPM?

Edit:

My Work around is now to copy the setup.exe and use the copy for deinstallation.

Now I have another strange behaviour insde the custom action VI:

1. I call Setup to uninstall.

2. I check if program is really uninstalled by checking if program.exe is still available.

3. If it is still available: I generate a error which is given to "error out" indicator of the VI.

4. Error is not analysed by VIPM.

On installation process the "error out" indicator is analysed.

Is this also a bug in the VIPM?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(8,345 Views)

These certainly sound like VIPM bugs.  JKI provides VIPM support through their discussion forums on the JKI website, here: 

http://forums.jki.net/forum/5-vi-package-manager-vipm/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(8,336 Views)

Hi,

yes I know the JKI forum.

But unfortunately I tried several times to Create an Account.

When I created it, I can not post a new message until the admin confirmed my account.

But after 3 days with no E-Mails (inbox nor spam) my Account was deleted.

That's the reason why I wrote some messages about VIPM in this forum.

I also wrote a email via contact site of JKI. There was a answer than, that admin of the forum will be informed.

But no reaction after that email.

A few minutes ago I also wrote my problem and the workaround to JKI via contact site of JKI.

Hope to getting any aswer...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(8,334 Views)

@a.metz wrote:

Hi,

yes I know the JKI forum.

But unfortunately I tried several times to Create an Account.

When I created it, I can not post a new message until the admin confirmed my account.

But after 3 days with no E-Mails (inbox nor spam) my Account was deleted.

That's the reason why I wrote some messages about VIPM in this forum.

I also wrote a email via contact site of JKI. There was a answer than, that admin of the forum will be informed.

But no reaction after that email.

A few minutes ago I also wrote my problem and the workaround to JKI via contact site of JKI.

Hope to getting any aswer...

Hi there. We've resolved the email/sign-up issues on the JKI VIPM Community Forums. Thanks for your patience.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,906 Views)