From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Developer Center Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom categories in LabVIEW options dialog

It would be very usefull if we could integrate a custom option in the standard LabVIEW options dialog.

Looking at the  %LabVIEW%\resource\dialog\PreferencesDialog\PreferencePages folder I see  a pageTemplate.vit template.
I have created a new VI (prefPage_CCT.vi) and was hoping that a section  would show up in the options dialog.
Unfortunatly this doesn't work.

Adding this would make our add-ons integrate better with the LabVIEW IDE.

Some further reading (with a hack) on LAVA.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(12,321 Views)

Hello Ton,

Excellent idea! We're following up with R&D to get their opinion on the matter and I'll deliver an update to you ASAP.

Kind regards,

-Bob

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,202 Views)

BOB wrote:

Hello Ton,

Excellent idea! We're following up with R&D to get their opinion on the matter and I'll deliver an update to you ASAP.

Kind regards,

-Bob

Ow, just an update, and I was hoping for a solution...

Thanks Bob,

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,202 Views)

I've not forgotten; I've just not received a response from the developer yet. I'll get back to you when I have something!

-Bob

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,202 Views)

Bob, any chance of opening up the source of this?

I am keen to re-use the framework in my own apps, not to add anything to LV preferences.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,202 Views)

nrp, you might want to check out xCE.

David Staab, CLA
Staff Systems Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 13
(6,202 Views)

I've sent another email to a developer requesting more information regarding the framework, but even if we expose a method for plugging into the framework it is unlikely R&D would agree to opening the source code...David has a great recommendation of using the xCE or Generic Configuration Editor Reference Example, what are your thoughts on this nrp?

-Bob

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,202 Views)

Thanks David,

I remember taking a look at this framework sometime ago, but had totally forgotten about it. I will have to spend some time digesting it again 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,202 Views)

nrp,

Check out the following document. We have provided an interface to develop your own options dialog using the same framework. The main VI is still password protected for now, but you can create your own options pages and call them in the framework.

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-13146

This does not allow you to add custom pages to the existing LabVIEW options dialog for LV Add-Ons however.

authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,202 Views)

Hello Ton,

It will require LabVIEW R&D developer time (code changes) to allow third-parties to plug into the existing LabVIEW Options dialog.  We, the Partner Program Engineers, will work with R&D to pursue this in a future release -- I cannot make any promise as to when, unfortunately, but I assure you we will work on this!

Kind regards,

-Bob

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,202 Views)