Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rick_Yahn_-_QuadTech

USB "stick" DAQ with 2 counters on it suitable for measuring encoders, or other sensors.

Suggest NI produce an inexpensive (<$100) USB "stick" that has 2 hardware counters on it for optically isolated measurement of encoders, or other high-speed devices. The stick would have a standard connector it for easy wiring of differential encoders with ABZ lines. The device would enable measuring two separate encoders or track two sections of a shaftless drive line that needs to position-follow. One or two DIO lines would be a bonus. This would seem to be a good fit for the industrial machine markets (at the very least). Today you need to buy a multifunction daq for a several hundred dollars if you want two counters.

Contact me with any further questions.

Thank you!

Rick Yahn

QuadTech, Inc.

414-566-7938

rick.yahn@quadtechworld.com

3 Comments
John_P1
Trusted Enthusiast

Hi Rick,

Sounds like this would be a pretty useful device.  Do you have a particular connector in mind when you mentioned the "standard connector for easy wiring of differential encoders"?

John Passiak
Rick_Yahn_-_QuadTech

Hi:

I have seen an 8-pin (Molex I think) with a mating connector and open-ended pigtails, and a standard 9-pin D-type (Amp) connector on similar devices. The 9-pin D-types I think would be more widely recognized and accepted than the other.

However, an even more simple and common connector approach would be to just have a screw terminal (Phoenix) connector. A soldered male molded onto the USB stick circuit bd side and a mating right-angled female connector with the screw terminals would seem to work best for me, and would also look very similar to NI existing devices (i.e. more common look & feel). Just my opinion, though.

Thanks for asking!

Rick Yahn

QuadTech, Inc.

414-566-7938

rick.yahn@quadtechworld.com

metux

Just use raspi or arduino for that ?

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering