NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
grdetil

Full cross-platform compatibility for DAQmx

by Member grdetil on ‎04-26-2011 12:45 PM

It would be great if the full DAQmx library supported all NI data acquisition products on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. The situation right now is too much of a hodge-podge of diverse drivers with too many limitations. There's an old, full DAQmx library that supports older devices on older Linux systems, but it doesn't look like it's been updated for years.  DAQmx Base is available for more current Linux and Mac OS systems, but doesn't support all NI devices (especially newer products).  DAQmx Base is also quite limited, and can't do a number of things the full DAQmx library can.  It's also fairly bloated and slow compared to DAQmx.  While I got my own application working under both Linux and Windows, there's a number of things about the Linux version that just aren't as nice as the Windows version right now.  I've seen complaints in the forums from others who have abandoned their efforts to port their applications from Windows to Mac OS or Linux because they don't see DAQmx Base as solid or "commercial-grade" enough.

I'd really like to be able to develop my application and be able to easily port it to any current Windows, Mac or Linux system, and have it support any current NI multi-function DAQ device, with a fast, capable and consistent C/C++ API.

Anyone else see this as a priority for NI R&D?

Comments
by Member BlueBadger on ‎06-03-2011 12:48 PM

I'm new to Linux and am looking for drivers that support the PCIe-6509;   NI-DAQmx for Linux 8.0 supports the PCI-6509, but as far as I can tell, it hasn't been updated for the PCIe-6509.  Never written a device driver for Linux and wonder if it's even possible to write one for this board.  Guess I have my work cut out for me.

by Proven Zealot on ‎06-18-2011 08:42 PM

I agree.

A quote from the LV product page: "Product Information: What is NI LabVIEW?

"LabVIEW is a graphical programming environment used by millions of engineers and scientists to develop sophisticated measurement, test, and control systems using intuitive graphical icons and wires that resemble a flowchart. It offers unrivaled integration with thousands of hardware devices....The LabVIEW platform is scalable across multiple targets and OS..."

(emphasis mine).

Without a consistent DAQ API across platforms, LV does not meet the description above.

Lynn

About Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

Have an idea for new DAQ hardware or DAQ software features?

1. Browse by label or search in the Data Acquisition Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see implemented!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors