Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Henrik_Volkers

Documentation of all settings of a measuring device as a function of the driver

When it comes to documentation of an measurement, you need to report ALL settings of a device that effects that measurement.

From a core memory dump written as a hex string to a XML document.... anything that shows up a difference in the settings that affect the measurement would be fine for documentation.

Something like a big property node readout followed by a format into string .... but make sure not to miss a property.... and a bit more complicated when it comes to signal routing....

A measurement that isn't sufficiently documented is all for naught. 

or

Just think of a nasty auditor 😉

It's so easy to make measurements with LabVIEW, please make it easy and consistent to document it.

Example:

A quick measurement setup with the DAQ-assistant/Express fills Gigabytes but after a certain time they are useless because nobody knows how they where taken. A simple checkbox could add all this information in the variant of the waveform. (or TDMS or ...) even if the operator don't have a clue of all the settings that affect his measurements.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

3 Comments
Brad_K
Active Participant

Hi Henrik,

Great idea. You can sort of do this today by saving the task (to MAX) and exporting the entire DAQmx configuration to an INI file, but it would be nice to have an easier way to do this that doesn't clutter up MAX and doesn't export the entire configuration.

Document DAQ Assistant Task.png

Brad

---
Brad Keryan
NI R&D
Henrik_Volkers
Trusted Enthusiast

Currently I would be very happy if the where a TDMS set property vi that accepts a (VISA,Scope,DAQ,...) Task and stores all task properties to the group/channel....   maybe worth a new idea.... but the main problem still seems to exists: How to get ALL relevant configuration settings (that the user is or is not avare of)

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I like the idea of having the TDMS logging saving all of the channel setup information in the channel's properties.  I think that is worth a new idea.  And while NI is mucking around in that code, they could get my idea in as well: Additional TDMS Metadata

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5