DIY LabVIEW Crew Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BabyKey

Introduction

Anyone with  small children knows how inquisitive they can be. They see Mummy or Daddy  sitting at the computer banging away on the keyboard and moving the mouse  around.
It looks like so  much fun that they want to have a go. The only problem is that they jump on when  your not looking and start clicking and pressing buttons randomly until they've  deleted/modified important files etc. Even worse, they decide that pressing that  big button right at their height would be fun... you know, the one marked  "Power" or "Reset".
So to keep my little  ones amused (and away from the power button) I wrote this  vi. It has educational value too. The keys they press are displayed and spoken (albeit by a dodgy windows speech engine).

What does it do?

Keeps the baby amused while protecting your files / computer from accidental  deletion.
How?
It maximises  itself and then attemps to stay as the topmost window and keep focus by  cupturing and dealing with all key presses and mouse  movements.
When the  baby/toddler hits keys on  the keyboard it displays the text of the button  pressed and uses Windows XPs inbuild speech engine to 'speak' what key was  pressed.
When the mouse is moved, bip noises are generated changing tone  depending on location on the screen.
To make it even more  interesting for the munchkin the front panel background is a picture that is  painted with large colored dots as they move the mouse around. The color painted  depends on the last key pressed.

Additional Notes

It hasn't had extensive  testing yet but it looks promising. It relies on quite a few Windows specific things like user32.dll speech engine activeX controls etc.
I want to eventually add a few other things to it. Like different sounds when they click the mouse buttons, maybe pictures  on the sides they can click that make noises etc.
This will do for now  though.

Bug Report: My 2.5 year old discovered a bug during her beta testing last night. I haven't captured the mouse right click event. I'll have to look into that in the next version.

Version 0.2 A couple of bugs fixed. Mouse clicks captured. Multiple key presses flushed from queue. User event replaced with queue. Don't wait for mouse move sound to finish.

Anyone who finds this app useful or interesting is most welcome to make changes / improvements / suggestions.

Screenshot as requested
babykey.PNG

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
Comments
Hesloppy
NI Employee (retired)
on

I like it.  I need this to protect my computer from my children.  They do all sorts of crazy stuff to my computer.

Bryan H.
Todd S.
NI Employee (retired)
on

Great stuff! Thanks for posting!  Any chance you can post a screen shot?

Todd S.
LabVIEW Community Manager
National Instruments
Christian_L
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Very nice work. Someone (I'll get to it someday) should add some motion like the rain drop VI example, when the mouse button is clicked.

authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

Rick_K
NI Employee (retired)
on

Nice, a very novel approach to baby entertainment. You'll have her dropping while loops by 4 🙂 

Contributors