DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Prepare Property View" in VIEW

When selecting legend properties in VIEW, there are two selections available called "<Prepare property view>" and "<freetext>".  I have not been able to successfully use the "<Prepare property view>" and haven't found any help in the help file - please send me there if you can!  Anyway, I am able to generate a freetext property such as:

@@GroupPropGet(ChnGroup(CCN), "Test_Cell")@@

But if I use this same expression in a new "prepare property view", it does not work and just displays blank space.  Please let me know what I am doing wrong!

Thank you in advance,

Julia Moeller

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,360 Views)
Hi Julia,

I'm noticing the same thing here. I'm having R&D look into this and I'll let you know what feedback they give regarding about how the 'Prepare property view' is supposed to be used.
Test Engineer - CTA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,333 Views)
Hi Julia,

I think the problem I was having yesterday is that I had a custom property in the X-axis channel whose value was not displaying in the VIEW legend.  This is to be expected.  Only properties assigned to channels used as Y-axis channels will be displayed in the VIEW legend.  For waveform channels, there is no ambiguity, but I happened to be using a data set yesterday with an explicit Time channel.  Today I got this to work with both DIAdem 10.0 and 10.1.  It probably works in earlier versions too, but I didn't have them handy.

So inside the VIEW legend configuration dialog, double-click on the <Prepare Property View> item, then overwrite that text with the name of the custom property or DIAdem property you would like to display.  You also then need to select that newly named property and click on the ">" button to move it into the active (right) area for display.  You can add an optional alias name and formatting, but you don't have to.

Let me know if you still have trouble with this,
Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,323 Views)
Thank you Brad!

I think I understand now what this is about - I can only use the <Prepare Property View> with an existing custom channel property - is this correct?  This works for me.  I was attempting to access a channel group property (which I can through the <FreeText>), and had high hopes that I could create a persistent custom property selection through <Prepare Property View>, that would be available if I would create a new VIEW sheet, etc.  But I can be content with <FreeText> for now.  Thank you again for the explanation!

Julia
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,321 Views)
Sorry - one more question, as I try to figure this out.  If <Prepare property view> is only for already-existing custom y-axis channel properties, how is this different from pushing the "Display custom properties" button?  Unless <Prepare property view> is something different or I did not understand correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,316 Views)

Hi Julia,

I suppose the only difference is that the <Prepare Property View> approach can occur prior to the property existing.  Also, the "Display Custom Properties" button can in some cases take a long time to display the entire set of custom properties.  I suppose one further difference is that the <Prepare Property View> gives you the option of directly typing in a known Y channel property name without having to wade through a potentially huge list of properties.  This is more often the case when you are connecting to external servers which are extremely metadata rich, such as an ASAM-ODS data base.

I continue to ask R&D for easy access to Group properties in VIEW tables and legends, the Data Portal List View, and REPORT tables, so hopefully this will get easier and prettier in the future.

Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,302 Views)