cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible to install DIAdem on Azure VM?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am using DIAdem 2012 Advanced on work computer with current name-user license. I wish to also install one copy on my home computer, which i did not buy yet. The challenge is that it will be very costly to build a home computer that will deliver the computation power I need. The ideal case would be to use a low-cost laptop and let a VM do the work off the road. At this point I was wondering if the name-user type license agreement allows for installation on a personal VM, e.g.  Azure? 

I would so much appriciate any suggestions.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,725 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KorayKinik

Hi Koray,

In general there are no problems with running DIAdem in a VM.  If you want to connect from a low powered laptop to a high powered computer running DIAdem, your typical options are remote desktop, Citrix, or a cloud connection.  If you keep your name-based licensing, then only the first two options will work from a licensing perspective.  DIAdem in the cloud requires a local license or a license server in the cloud as well.  I'm guessing your current name-based licensing will continue to support DIAdem clients in your company intranet, so it can't do that and support cloud clients at the same time.  You could split your license server into two smaller license servers, though.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

Message 2 of 3
(3,708 Views)

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your response.

I want to install the software on one single virtual machine, and I will be the only person using the software and this VM, through remote desktop - so I guess I do not need to consider license splitting.

The physical server on which this VM runs must be located somewhere in Microsoft Azure's datacenters.

Hence, if i understand correctly, there will be no difference between buying a home desktop computer vs having an Azure VM - and from the license perspective both are considered "home computer" as soon as I am the only user, which is the case.

Thanks again for clarification,

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,698 Views)