DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i import labview binary file into diadem

hi,

i am acquiring an analog input, and writing the data into a binary file. how do i access the data?
can i import the file into Diadem? if so how?

thanks
jithendra
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,177 Views)

I'm not sure what your binary file looks like, but have you looked at the DataPlugins? (www.ni.com/dataplugins)  Basically you can write your own import filter in VBS.  If you download the help, look at "Example 3".  It explains how to import channels from a binary file.

Myrle

For tips and tricks on creating VBScript DataPlugins go to http://dataplugins.blogspot.com.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,155 Views)
Hi Jithendra...

If you're at liberty to send us the LabVIEW code that creates that binary file, that would be the easiest way to understand what's in the file and how it's stored.  It may be a very simple matter to create a DataPlugin for this file format, or it might be a little harder, depending on the complexity of your binary file.

Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instuments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,143 Views)

Jithendra,

There are a great set of VI's called the TDM Header Writer VI's that let you turn previously created binary files into TDM files so they can be easily be imported into DIAdem.  Here is a link to an excellent Application Note describing their behavior, as well as containing a link to the VI's themselves.

Introduction to the TDM Header Writer VI's

[http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/117CB3D512ED96928625707B004DC4E9]

Regards,

Santiago D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,131 Views)

hi brad,

i have attached the VI i am using. It is in Labview 6, i have Labview 7.1 and when i tried to run this VI in 7.1 it gave me some errors.

if i can run it in 7.1 then i can use the data storage VI's and save the data in TDM format.

thanks

jithendra

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,130 Views)
Santiago,

i just skimmed through the link u sent me and it looks very interesting. i will go thropugh it in more detail and see if i can use that to convert my binary file to
tdm format. one more thing, if my binary file is from Labview 6, can i use the examples you sent to convert that file to TDM format in Labview 7.1. i am just using the write to binary file VI in Labview 6.

thank you for your response
jithendra
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,127 Views)

Hi jithendra,

Well, that IS a simple binary structure.  I didn't have all the scope VIs on my computer, so I couldn't tell-- do your binary data files always have a fixed number of channels (2, perhaps)?  If so, it would be absolutely trivial to create a DataPlugin for you, and I would be happy to do so.  Do you save your binary data files with a consistent file extension (*.bin or something)?  Then DIAdem could automatically associate that file "type" with the DataPlugin, and you could simply drag and drop your binary files into DIAdem.

Alternatively, the TDM Header Writer VIs would also be pretty easy to use to create TDM header files for your binary files-- just make sure you set the byte order property to Big-Endian, as in the examples in that AppNote.

Either approach ought to work fine,
Brad Turpin
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,108 Views)