DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can I truncate a time channel when it says it is write protected?

I am trying to make a time channel the same length as some shorter length time channels.  However, when in the VIEW panel, I try to delete the unnecessary entries through the table editor and it gives an error saying that I am not allowed to do this action on "write-protected" channels.  How can I correct/overcome this?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,394 Views)
hello,

you have a implicit channel and to change data in this channel you must changed it into a explicit channel.
Do a right-click on the channel in the data-portal. Choose "channel expand" (dont know the right name, i have a german DIAdem).
You can also use the script-command "ChnValExpand".

Andreas Weiland
Projektingenieur
measX GmbH & Co. KG
, www.measX.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,384 Views)

Hi jb706,

Weiland is correct. When you register channels, you cannot modify the channel values in the Data Portal or and you cannot add values to the channels. However, you can display registered channels in various ways or use them together in calculations. In order to edit the properties and values of a registered channel, you must expand the channel.  With implicit channels, only the channel values are write-protected.    

The command, ChnValExpand, expands registered or implicit channels into a DIAdem standard channel.  Simply right-click on the channel and select Expand Channel or use the VB Script and say Call ChnValExpand(ChnNoStr) where ChnNoStr specifies one or more channels.  

When using ChnValExpand, DIAdem expands the data, which loads the data into the internal DIAdem memory. For registered channels DIAdem creates a reference to the data. For implicit channels DIAdem saves only a generation specification for the data.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,372 Views)