From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS file title for use in Diadem report

Solved!
Go to solution

I have been given a large number of TDMS files collected with Signal Express 2014 and all these files are called voltage.tdms in various sub-folders, when I open a sample of these files in Diadem I can see that they have some unique names in the title field of the voltage.tdms properties and so I would like to make use of this in a report template I have created. What I have failed to find is an easy way to capture that title value and insert it into my report template, there is a variable name called ChnDataFileName but this only gives me "voltage.tdms", I see no such variable to extract the title field, does anyone know how to gain access to this field?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,478 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ADobson

Hi ADobson

The easiest way is to drag & drop the property from the Data Portal to the report. Then you will get something like

Title: @@Data.Root.Properties("title").Value@@

Hope that helps

Winfried

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,467 Views)

If you open DIAdem Setting

Setting->DIAdem Settings->Panels->Loading Behavior->DataFinder->Property Inheritance Level

you can cahnge the loading behavior and make sure the root properties are attached to another level (group/channel).

After saving it to your Desktop.ddd the future load behavior will be like this and you can use those

properties in Report like all others.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,461 Views)

Winfried,

I accepted your solution as it was the easiest to implement in my template and the version of Diadem I am using (2011), one thing I have noticed is simply opening the TDMS file while I have the report template already open will not update the details in the template, but this is overcome by opening the template while the TDMS is loaded.

Thanks for the tip it saved me some time as the help file did not provide that detail, at least the parts I was looking at.

Andy.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,447 Views)

Hi Andy

You are are right it is not easy to find in the help. But in the context help of the data portal (click into the data portal properties area and press F1) (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370858M-01/genportal/genportal/portal_general_prop/) and in the help about drag& drop (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370858M-01/genshell/genshell/portal_drag_drop/) you will find that information.

Winfried

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,434 Views)

Hello Andy,

Allow me to briefly comment on this topic:

"one thing I have noticed is simply opening the TDMS file while I have the report template already open will not update the details in the template, but this is overcome by opening the template while the TDMS is loaded."

That is designed behaviour, since REPORT doesn't know if a new file has been loaded into the DIAdem DataPortal, and we don't want to redraw the report page(s) every time you change to the REPORT panel. That could be a time consuming task if you have a few GBs of data loaded and redraw complex 3D reports.

A simple click on the "Refresh" button in report will do that though, no need to reload the REPORT template ...

Refresh.jpg

The effect will be the same as if you reloaded the REPORT template, but less effort ...

Hope that helps,

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,392 Views)