DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Diadem in advanced or base mode with command line switch

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to use command line switches to decide which license (advanced or base) diadem will attempt to pull from the volume license manager? I would like users to have two icons to choose from so that we don't unnecessarily saturate our advanced licenses.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,180 Views)

I don't believe that there is any command line functionality that can be used to adjust permissions on a licensing-server-enabled client in NI License Manager.  

That said, on the client side, you can actively disable the Advanced license in NI License Manager, as explained here under Switching between Concurrent Licenses, to avoid unnecessary check-outs of the Advanced licenses from the server.

Highest Regards,

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,117 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. We are currently using the NI License Manager method you mentioned. That is unfortunate that there is no command line functionality. Another thought I had is to use a start script to prompt the user to choose advanced or base, is there any way to toggle the license manager settings via scripts?

Drew

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,114 Views)

I don't believe that there are any script functions inside of DIAdem that can be used to control NI License Manager either.  Your best bet to avoid manually selecting licensing requests on each client will be to manage the group permissions in the VLM to enable Advanced licenses only on machines or users that actively need it.  

If all users need it sometimes, and the needs are conditional, then the current method that you are using is going to be the most effective.

Highest Regards,

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,104 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NeedDIAdemHelp

Hi NeedDIAdemHelp,

try to edit  these file "C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\License Manager\Data\servers.ini" . In this file the default license server is set.

Uwe Hein

Message 5 of 8
(3,093 Views)

Hi,

like Uwe suggested you can modify the servers.ini file.

If you add the name of a license to the blocked features the next lower license will be pulled.

Here's an example that blocks the Professional license, so an advance or base license will be pulled.

[Preferences]
Order=27001@localhost
[@192.168.0.1]
Administrator=User Name
Phone=
Email=user@ni.com
URL=
[@ComputerName]
BlockedFeatures=DIAdem_PRO_PKG_UC;

You can also do this manually like explained here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F14CA5AC9F804865862575580076B277?OpenDocument

After doing all the configuration manually you can look at the servers.ini file and see the required settings to block a specific license.

You could add the BlockedFeatures line with a batch file, script, or write a simple LabVIEW application that modifies the file before starting DIAdem.

Regards

Christian
CLA, CTA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,084 Views)

Here's an example batch file to modify the BlockedFeatures key in the file.

You must do the block feature procedure manually before, so the required ini keys will be created (look under my last link).

@echo off
set "file=C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\License Manager\Data\servers.ini"
rem search for BlockedFeatures line and replace if found
if exist "%file%" (
	findstr /v /i "BlockedFeatures=" "%file%" >"%file%.tmp"
	>>"%file%.tmp" echo/BlockedFeatures=DIAdem_PRO_PKG_UC;
	move /y "%file%.tmp" "%file%" >nul
)
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\DIAdem 2015\DIAdem.exe"

Create two *.bat files with this content. The first one starts DIAdem in Base or Adv. (depends on what is available).

In the second one delete "DIAdem_PRO_PKG_UC;" from the file and it will start Prof. if available.

I tested it successfully but this is just a workaround, not any official solution!

Christian
CLA, CTA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,072 Views)

Uwe and Christian,

Thanks for your solution! I think that modifying the servers.ini file will solve my problem.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,064 Views)