DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postgres Diadem

Hi,

i would like to test diadem with PostgreSQL DBMS but i'm quite new to diadem and not really experienced with it and maybe someone has already a solution for my problem.

Diadem 9.1 or 10.0
PostgreSQL: 8.1

I'm able to connect to the db with a simple ADO connection string like this:

Provider=PostgreSQL.1;Password=user;User ID=xxxxxxxx;Data Source=localhost;Location=mytestdb;Extended Properties=""

then i can see all tables in the database but no columns or values.

Any ideas or suggetions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Hans

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,401 Views)

Hi Hans,

It sounds like you have succeeded in creating what DIAdem calls a "Data Storage" for your data base-- this is just a configuration for how to read from that data base.  The result is that you can open a view to your data base directly in the DIAdem NAVIGATOR, which is where I'm assuming you can now see the tables and the columns.  If you are interested in loading all the values from selected columns into DIAdem, you can just drag&drop any of those columns or tables from the NAVIGATOR (on the left) into the Data Portal (on the right) in DIAdem.

Admittedly, this is a rare use case when dealing with a data base.  What most people want is to execute queries against the data base.  Since you already have the ADO connection string, you could use VBScript to creat ADO objects and issue queries and return field values with the standard ADO approach in DIAdem.  Alternatively, if you can create an ODBC DSN for your data base, DIAdem provides a number of built-in SQL commands based on ODBC which are quite simple to use and wonderfully integrated into DIAdem for custom dialog displays and data channel binding, etc.  An excellent example of this approach (again for the case that you have a DSN) can be downloaded at the following URL:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niepd_web_display.display_epd4?p_guid=F8A6C6F25EFA4FF8E0340003BA7CCD71

Let us know if you need further assistance,
Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,388 Views)