From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibility of using DIAdem (DAC bundle) as a replacement for labview

Hello all,

DIAdem DAC offers certain aquisition, control and live processing features. As a beginner in DIAdem I was wondering whether I could replace labVIEW with DIAdem as a generic (scalable) test bench program, through extensive scripting or otherwise.

Consider the inclusion of features like

-user selected channels 

-selectively using processing functions (filters, formulae etc) based on choice

-alarm functions (possibility of setting alarm limits dynamically, while the measurement is running)

-display graphs for channel(s) on demand 

-storage of signals based on triggers

-perform post-processing on stored signals (analysis window)

-create reports on the basis of predetermined requirements

-control loops on demand

- A UI providing all the options so the end user requires minimal idea of DIAdem itself 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,672 Views)

Hello dreadquill,

If I should briefly describe the main difference between DIAdem and LabVIEW is as follows:

DIAdem is a software for data management, data measurement, data analyzing and report generation. All these can be used interactively or automated. The main focus is on the offline part.

LabVIEW is a graphical oriented programming language which allows you to do most everything. The main focus is on the online part.

Customers typically use DIAdem for the offline part, LabVIEW for the online part and sometimes they measure with DIAdem. To compare DIAdem and LabVIEW we should have a look at the online part of both.

For measurements you have in DIAdem ready defined (fixed) function blocks which can be parametrized from customers. If you wire those blocks you describe the measurement. It is not necessary to program or compile something.

In LabVIEW you develop (graphically) your measurement. This can be a simple data acquisition but also a very complex one in which you use for example real-time or FPGA hardware (which is not possible with DIAdem).

With other words, DIAdem is used for the offline part and can be used for more or less simple measurements. Whereas you can develop in LabVIEW measurements which are much more powerful and complex and should be used if your requirements are not just a simple measurement.

So, I would say the answer to your question is: It depends.

Greetings

Walter

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,634 Views)