DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDE Export Grayed out after Diadem 12 service pack installed

Solved!
Go to solution

I just installed a service pack to my installation of Diadem 12.0 PDF exporting of reports was working beforehand, now it is not. I know this has been a problem in past Diadem versions and OS combinations but it was working for me so I am very confused. Running Win7, 64bit, Diadem 12.0 

-J

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,077 Views)

Hi jdferdon,

When you say that "PDF exporting of reports" is no longer working, what do you mean exactly? Do you get an error? Or is the PDF simply not created?

Kelsey W.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,048 Views)

Hi jdferon,

Apologies. I didn't realize the title of the forum post answers my question. Which service pack did you install? Was it SP1? SP1a or SP1b?

Kelsey W.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,042 Views)

Ok, So I have DIAdem version: 12.01f5436 TDM Service Pack.  I have looked around at a couple other solutions to similar problems as mine and have checked a few things. It appears as though I do not have the DIAdem PDF printer installed at all on my system. It does not show up as an installed printer like it usually would. 

IF I go into the ...\DIAdem 2012\ Folder I notice tha tI am missing two files most other people in the forum seem to have: I am missing "atpdf400.cat" and "DIAdem PDF Export 4.inf"  (RE: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/033F9C9654181C0086257C29006BC244 )

Maybe I shouldnt have these files though since I am running Win7-64bit? 

Either way I need to get the DIAdem PDF printer re-installed it would seem. 

I also just intalled Adobe Acrobat recently but that didnt seem to have any effect from my recollection. 

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,026 Views)

Hi Joe,

I believe you need the files listed in the KB. I too have a Win7 64-bit machine running DIAdem 2012 and those files are in the x86 Program Files directory for DIAdem 2012. I do not, however, have the "atpdf400.cat" or "DIAdem PDF Export 4.inf" files. (And I have no problem using the PDF Export... menu item - again using DIAdem 2012 without patches).

If you look at the ReadMe document for the patch you have (SP1B) it states the bug fixes released with the patch. Among the fixes are: "Exporting as PDF document switches the standard printer to "DIAdem PDF Export"." and that "Printing PDFs does not work if no LPT port or free printer port is available." Among the fixes from the 2012 release is: "On 64-bit operating systems the PDF export does not generate documents or the function leads to DIAdem not being operable." So it seems the issue would be resolved in SP1. 

Here is the ReadMe for your reference: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/$CXIV/ATTACH-AEEE-9A3DYB/$FILE/Readme.html

I've looked over the ReadMe for 2012 SP2 and there don't seem to be any related to this matter. Have you installed an earlier version than DIAdem 2012 after installing 2012? This would cause the Export to PDF feature to break.

Kelsey W.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,004 Views)

Kelsey, I recently had to wipe my computer and reinstall everything, so I started with a clean install of Didem 2012 downloaded directly from the NI website. I applied my companys license and for several weeks I had a fully functioning DIAdem 2012 Basic installation. A little while later the NI Updater informed me that their was a service pack available so I downloaded it and installed and restarted. It was at that point the the "Export to PDF" button and menu item were both grayed out and I can not use them. I also no longer have the DIAdem PDF printer installed anywhere else. It does not show up in the "devices and Printers" window of my control panel. Its as if it was just erased.

-J

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,992 Views)

Hi jdferdon,

I have heard from R&D concerning this issue. They had the following response:

With DIAdem 2012 we create a separate port for the PDF printer. This was necessary to run free of problems on W7-64.
From what we know, is the only reason for the grayed-out PDF icon, a not installed DIAdem-PDF-Printer.
Try to restart DIAdem with admin privileges. If this does not work you can try to run DIAdem with the parameter "/ARS". Admin privileges are required as well.

Let me know if this helps!

Kelsey W.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,972 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jdferdon

Ah HA! - Admin priveledges solved it. For the benfit of other reading this right click on the shortcut or start menu item for DIAdem and chose the menu option "Run As Administrator". After do this DIAdem began opening and Windows asked me if I wanted to "Allow this program to make changes to this computer" and then DIAdem completed the installation of SP1. Everyhting appears to working correctly. 

To make this happen automatically: 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff431742.aspx

"To mark an application to always run as an administrator, do the following: 
1. On the Start menu, locate the program that you want to always run as an administrator. 
2. Right-click the application’s shortcut, and then click Properties. 
3. In the Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab. 
4. Do one of the following: 

• To apply the setting to the currently logged-on user, select the Run This Program As An Administrator check box, and then click OK.
  • To apply the setting to all users on the computer and regardless of which shortcut is used to start the application, click Change Setting For All Users to display the Properties dialog box for the application’s .exe file, select the Run This Program As An Administrator check box, and then click OK twice.

The application will now always run using an administrator access token. Keep in mind that if you are using a standard account and prompting is disabled, the application will fail to run."

-J

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,970 Views)