From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading .dat and saving or exporting as ascii

Hi,
I have acquired some data in Diadem, and have previously saved it in .dat format (Diadem version 8.00.981), that I would now like to save in ascii for easy loading into matlab so I can merge it with other data.
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this, preferably avoiding copying into excel and going from there as this is quite tedious!

Thanks,
Anna
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,316 Views)

Hi Anna,

You didn't mention which DIAdem version you are now using, or are you still using DIAdem 8.0?  In later versions there is a nice CSV export feature in DIAdem, but I'm attaching below an example of how to export to a .DAT file where the values are stored in a text file instead of a binary file.  This was the old way of doing ASCII export.  It's quite fast, but it doesn't add any header lines at the top.  The VBScript attached below has an optional section which shows how to programmatically rewrite the file so that there are a few header lines, in case you want them.

Regards,
Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,301 Views)

Hi Anna,

If you use DIAdem version 10 or later, you can use the following DataPlugin:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/4178

to directly write MatLab files from DIAdem.

That might save you the extra step of converting to ASCII first.

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,297 Views)