From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large File Save

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I've been working through scripting in DIAdem, and i've encountered a big time sink. Some of the files I work with are upwards of 200MB and these files load within a minute or two however when I save the data it can take 20+ minutes to save. I was wondering if there's any way to speed up this process or if we should change our data aq processes to make smaller data files. The files are Initially Read Only and are then edited and saved under a new name. Let me know if there's anygthing I can do.

Thanks,

Sadie

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(5,593 Views)

Sadie,

What format are the output files? 

Is it saving the files to a network drive, or to a local drive.?

TDM or TDMS both write substantially faster than that.  ( I have used files over 2x that size)

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(5,572 Views)

I'm using TDMS files, saved onto a network drive.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(5,492 Views)

Hi Sadie,

I can think of one way that would take that amount of time to save.  That is if the channel type was Text and not numeric. (and it was a long text channel.)  Really all channels should be only numeric, with the properties holding any text values,  If you had something that was like a text value that varies, it would store best if the values could be made into enumerations, Where the text that corresponded to the number were stored in channel properties. This allows channels to have numbers in them.  

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(5,472 Views)

I don't have any text channels. All channels are numeric.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(5,429 Views)

Hello Sadie,

Could you please try saving the same file to a local hard drive, and timing that vs saving to a network drive.

I assume that saving to the network is slowing this down, but I would like to eliminate other causes by timing the save time to a local hard drive ...

Thanks,

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(5,416 Views)

Otmar,

I just tried saving to the local hard drive and it took less than a minute to save. I do need to save these files onto a network though. Any ideas how to speed up that process?

Thanks,

Sadie

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(5,413 Views)

Hello Sadie,

I am not sure why writing the file to a network vs. writing it to a local directory has such significant time impact, but one way to work around this is to write the file to your local disk and then copying it to the relevant network location.

I'll ask someone from R&D to check this thread and hopefully they can provide some insight and advice on how to accelerate writing to a network drive ...

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(5,336 Views)

Could you please add some additional information:

• DIAdem/USI version (can be found in DIAdem About box)
  • What content does your file have (Number of groups / Number of channels / length of channels)

How is the behavior if you store a TDM file to your share instead of an TDMS file.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(5,257 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Artemis125

One effect that may influence is the fac that some time of loading the file might be contained in the save time.

The following script contains some effects.

• BulkDataLoadingMode causes by default that bulk data is loaded on access. In the script the file is completely loaded.
  • SaveTdmsLocalAndMove saves the file to temp folder and moves it afterwards.

If the share is connected via DSL the difference in up and downstream speed may influence the result.

(20 seconds is a lot of time for 200 mb tdms file. So it is potentially no local windows share)

Option Explicit

dim srcPath : srcPath = "\\server\share\example.tdms" 
dim targetPath : targetPath = "\\server\share\exampleOut.tdms" 

data.Root.clear

if FileExist(TargetPath) then
  fileDelete(TargetPath)
end if

dim txt : txt = ""

stopwatchreset 1
call LoadTdmsFileImediately(srcPath)
txt = txt & "Load " & stopwatch(1) & " s" & VBCRLF

stopwatchreset 1
call SaveTdmsLocalAndMove(targetPath)
txt = txt & "Save " & stopwatch(1) & " s" & VBCRLF

MsgBox txt

sub SaveTdmsLocalAndMove(byVal targetPath)

dim fileType : fileType = UCase(right(targetPath, len(targetPath) - instrRev(targetPath, ".")))

dim tmpTargetPath : tmpTargetPath = TmpDrv & "\SaveTdmsLocalAndMove." & fileType
  call DataFileSave(tmpTargetPath, fileType)
  call DataFileMove(tmpTargetPath, targetPath)

end sub

function LoadTdmsFileImediately(byval srcFile)

dim oldBulkDataLoadingMode : oldBulkDataLoadingMode = BulkDataLoadingMode
  BulkDataLoadingMode   = eBulkDataLoadingImmediately
  on error resume next
  DataFileLoad srcFile
  LoadTdmsFileImediately = err.number
  on error goto 0
  BulkDataLoadingMode = oldBulkDataLoadingMode

end function

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(5,244 Views)