From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to view timestamps in DIAdem with a higher precision than 100 microseconds?

I understand DIAdem has limitations on viewing timestamps due to DateTime values being defined as a double value and that this results in 100 us resolution.  Is there any way to get around this?  I am logging time critical data with timestamps from an IEEE 1588 clock source and it is necessary to have higher resolution.  Perhaps I could convert timestamp to a double before logging but then would have to convert it back in Diadem somehow...

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,044 Views)

As you said, DIAdem can only display up to 4 decimal positions on a timestamp. Timestamps in DIAdem are recorded as the number of seconds since 01/01/0000 00:00:00.0000. To achieve a higher precision, it would be necessary to use a relative timestamp. Many timestamps are defined from different references anyway, so it might be possible to import the timestamps as numeric values to maintain their precision. Converting the timestamp prior to importing into DIAdem seems like a viable method of working around the precision limit.

Steven Gloor
Staff Customer Engineer - CTA, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,018 Views)

Thanks for the reply Steven,

You mentioned using a relative timestamp to achieve higher precision.  Because of large data sets, I am writing many cosecutive TDMS file segments.  That being said, would the timestamp need to be realtive to each file segment or the whole data set?  Also, would the conversion from absolute to relative timestamp take place in Labview or Diadem?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,962 Views)

Hi Ben,

As long as your segmented TDMS files each contain more than 100 milliseconds of data, then you can store a starting File.datetime property that you can use to order the concatenation of those files in DIAdem.  If each TDMS file contains less than 100 milliseconds of data, then your numerical ElapsedTime channel will need to be relative to the start of the whole test.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,939 Views)