From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to convert from a database to TDMS, for analysis in Diadem?

I have a database (sample attached, mdf sql server localdb ) file (170 mb max)  and would like to analyse it in Diadem.  What is the best way? One thought is to create a Labview exe converter (mdf to tdms). What do you suggest? Thanks. 

database 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb3cydanshrokx3/M2004%202013_04_18%2013_22_16%20WNM-6141-MG_Post.zip?dl=0

An example of our data

Capture.PNG

The two Definitions above are known/fixed.

[Log Event Definition] below

Event Name        Event Number

Flow Evt               0

DirSnsr Evt           1

Pulse Evt              2

Gamma Evt         3

Vibration Evt       4

Temperature Evt               5

Power Evt            6

Extreme Vib Evt 7

Extreme Shock Evt           8

Config Change Evt            9

Set Time Evt        10

Reset Evt             11

Snsr Com Evt      12

PC Com Evt         13

Int FLASH Evt      14

Int EEPROM Evt 15

INA Evt  16

EM Pulse Evt       17

Tilt Snsr Evt         18

[Log Field Definition] 145 lines; removing seconds, ms about 130

Event Number    Field Name          Field Index           Unit       Format  Offset From Last               Byte Offset               Bit Offset             Element Length  Raw Datatype    Scale      Offset

0             Seconds               0                            Time      1             0             0             32           1             1             0

0             Milliseconds        1                            TimeOffset%0.3f              1             0             0             16           2               0.001     0

0             Flow      2                            %d          1             0             0             8             0             1             0

0             Temp     3             °C           %d          1             0             0             8             2             1             30

0             Flow Confirm Dly              4             secs       %d          1             0             0             8             2             1               0

Rest in the attachement. Ignore the size mentioned in the docx

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,971 Views)

You can use the database toolkit in LabVIEW to fetch data from database and then save as TDMS file that is readable for DIAdem.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,955 Views)

ADO itself can potentially be used to access the data from DIAdem. The following script can be used to create the ADO connection string.

Option Explicit
ADOConStrGet() msgbox AdoConString

potentially your script will somehow look like this one

option explicit

dim mdfFile : mdfFile = "C:\temp\MyDataBaseFile.mdf"

dim conStr : conStr = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=localhost;Initial File Name=" & mdfFile

dim ado : Set ado = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
ado.Open conStr

dim getResult : set getResult = ado.execute("SELECT * from [MyTableName];")

dim chNames : chNames = Array : redim chNames(getResult.Fields.count - 1)
dim i : for i = 1 to getResult.Fields.count
  chNames(i - 1) = getResult.Fields.Item(i - 1).name
Next
dim rowVals : rowVals = getResult.GetRows(-1, 0, chNames)

data.root.Clear
ArrayToChannels rowVals, chNames

Afterwards the result of your select command can be found in DIAdem channels.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,916 Views)

Thanks. guys. The AE suggested VBS DataPlugins too. So what is the best way? I need to create an exe out of the converter and it needs to be efficient. 

I appreciate your help. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,893 Views)

Hi pavan_b,

If you need a converter that runs as an *.exe, then you should probably go the LabVIEW DataBase Connectivity Toolkit route.  A VBScript DataPlugin would have to use ADO commands the same as a DIAdem VBScript, only it would be constrained to load the whole data base at once, which could easily be too much.  Using a LabVIEW *.exe to send the data base records to multiple TDMS files sounds like the right approach.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

Message 6 of 7
(5,867 Views)

Thanks Brad. I thought what the AE suggested was a little off but email communication doesn't help either.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,861 Views)