From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing special ASCII file

Hi guys,

I have measurement files as ASCII (an example file is attached). It contains 138 lines as header, which I am not interested in, then 3 data channels, x, y, and z, and a timestamp in the form hh:mm:ss dd:mm:yy. This timestamp appears every 41 lines.

Now I want to have a continuous time channel and three x-, y-, z-channels. Using Plugin-assistant I could import the three data channels correctly but time channels not.

Any ideas for how to get around it and generate the right time channel using Plugin-assistant or script?

I am grateful for any help

Milad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,597 Views)

Hello Milad,

You can request a free DataPlugin from NI through this link:

DataPlugin request

Please provide the requested information through that link and you'll get a custom DataPlugin for this data format created.

The time channel you have is not really ideal for the ASCII wizard ...

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,580 Views)

Thank you Otmar! Still, I would like to do it myself. Can I find somewhere instructions how to write or edit a plugin?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,130 Views)

Hi Milad_A,

Are your data channels aquired at a constant sampling period?  If so, you can have the DataPlugin declare you channels as waveform channels and/or create an implicit date/time channel.  Are there data values in between the datetime values 41 rows apart?

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,116 Views)

@Milad_A wrote:

Thank you Otmar! Still, I would like to do it myself. Can I find somewhere instructions how to write or edit a plugin?

Hello Milad,

The "manual" (in form of a help file) can be found here: http://www.ni.com/example/29822/en/

Best regards,

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,113 Views)