DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force Excel to Open And Update Links

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an Excel Macro file .xlsm that I am sending data to and receiving results from after the data is calculated. Some of those calculations are through an .xla Link. NORMALLY when a human opens the file, the linkis opened and updated and everyone can go about their business.

I ended up explicitely opening the link with another workbook open statement, but that cannot be right right way. What if the .xla changes names, or is moved? There must be a better way. The excel macro record even managed to just give me the explicit pathname and not a programmically way to open it like Workbook.OpenMyStupidLinksYouFool. Ugh.

For reference I tried adding parameters to the open command, and Diadem compile errored and said I cannot use parentheses. There are already parenteses. huh?

Excel Open Method:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/bb179167(v=office.12).aspx

Safe:

Excel.Workbooks.Open(sPathDocuments & "" & DiademExcelWorkbook)

Error:

Excel.Workbooks.Open(sPathDocuments & "" & DiademExcelWorkbook,3)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,617 Views)

Based on the way I read your post, it seems like the issue may be with the Excel macro. Specifcally, what functionality are you trying to incorporate into your DIAdem script using the OLE interface?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,575 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sg000

Hi sg,

The specific error you got has nothing to do with DIAdem or Excel. If you want to call a function in a VBScript that has more than one parameter, and if you use parentheses in the calling syntax, then the "Call " prefix is required.

Call Excel.Workbooks.Open(sPathDocuments & DiademExcelWorkbook, 3)

I'm also not sure what you were up to with the & "" & construction, so I simplified it above.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,570 Views)

I cannot test your solution right now Brad, but its definiitely something to be aware of that I wasn't.

QT - Its not the macro, but the Excel document contains links and I need those links to open when I open the Exxcel document.

I fixed it temporarily by forcing open the link from Diadem but normally you might not know what that link is.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,550 Views)