cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the tdms-File icon?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Brad

I tried to use "index Folder" but it does not update my files unfortunately. It only updates my files when I open the Diadem manually and click on the file.

The refresh button in Diadem does not update my files too.

My DataFinder is installed on a local PC while my files are located on a server. Is this the problem why I can not update the files or?

thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(2,853 Views)

Hi Norick,

Yes, that's the trouble.  In the LabVIEW Help for the "Update Files" method, it states that this only works locally.  Is there any way to cause this function to be run on the server computer hosting the DataFinder?

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(2,843 Views)

Brad

the problem is that there is no server specific DataFinder installed, only a local DataFinder. The tdms files, which are generated on a local PC, are syncronized with

a server. Afterwards I need to search some specific data of those tdms files on the server.

Is there no way to run a script or LV-application which updates my files on the server? Or do I need to update the index files first on my local PC before I syncronize it

with the server?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(2,839 Views)

Hi Norick,

First of all the "local" My DataFinder is only designed for use within a given computer.  There is no way with LabVIEW 2014 or DIAdem 2014 to connect to or interact with a "My DataFinder" located on a separate computer.  These clients can only communicate with a DataFinder Server Edition (DFSE) on another (server) computer.

Is there a DFSE somewhere in your architecture?

How do the data files get moved into their target Search Areas?  Do the clients push them to the server, or do you leave the data on the acquisition computer and have the server point to remote folders?

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(2,833 Views)

Hello Brad

No, there is no DFSE available.

The target files, located on a server, are pushed (copied) from a local machine to a folder on the server. Each local client has its own "My DataFinder" installed and therefore all files are indexed allready.

Afterwards, another PC makes a query to those files (stored on the server) through the local "My DataFinder". This works so far but not for all files. This means some files are indexed but others not (hourglass) and this is the actual problem.

In other words I query from a local PC to the files (server) through the "My DataFinder" where the search area includes the folder path to the generated tdms-files.

best regards

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(2,820 Views)

Hi Norick,

Now I understand.  The fundamental issue is that files stored on a network drive do not always generate file events on every client My DataFinder pointing to them.  The other complication is that only one of the clients (the one that just submitted it) knows that the new data file needs to be indexed.  That submitting client can force a file index event with LabVIEW or DIAdem code, but that only updates the My DataFinder index on the submitting client.  There is no way for computerA to update the My DataFinder of computerB.  That leaves two options:

A)  Set up each My DataFinder to index automatically every so often-- this will definitely catch any new files and index them

B)  Send a message to all the other computers and have them each force a file index event on their own My DataFinder

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(2,812 Views)

... or use a centralized DataFinder Server instead.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(2,804 Views)

Thanks for the answer Brad. I will try that...

regards

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(2,779 Views)