DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create a scene and move 3D models in INSIGHT with Labview?

Hi!
I need some help in doing a LabView application. What i have to do is controlling a 3D model represented in Insight with Labview. Something similar like the six-axis-robot example. I follow the insight configuration wizard, but nothing moves. Comparing the ".cis" files in my program and the one from the six-axis-robot, i found that in the six-axis-robot file contains something called localsystem and the one made by me, doesn't. Can be this the problem? How can I make it work? I would need some kind of step-by-step response, because i'am a beginner with Insight and 3D models. Thanks in advance!
Regards!

Juan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,820 Views)
Hello,

Defining a localsystem in Insight involves dragging and dropping an axis system (from the axis displayed on the lower right of the VRML display) to the point you would like to be the center of the new axis and then associating related points with the axis system (by dragging and dropping the points or a group of selected points to the axis).  Depending on the number of axis and the complexity of the model this can be an easy or a difficult task.  Please contact me so I can get more details and I will help you with this task.  Another way of doing a task like this is with the 3D Picture tools available in the current version of LabVIEW. 

Robert VanDeVanter
National Instruments
(512) 683-0023
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,813 Views)
Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for your answer. It's being very helpfull.
I'm finding problems dragging and dropping points to my new axis. I also have the problem of i don't know how can i select a specified group of points, because when i try to do this, all the points in the model are selected. Could you explain me this actions with a brief example, as a cylinder or a very simple form? I'm trying to start with simple models, because what i have to do is move a 3D  model of a tunnelling machine. Another question that i have is what are the requeriments of the vrml models to be able to work with them in INSIGHT.
Thanks again for your help!

Juan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,807 Views)

If your VRML consists of separate objects then you can right click on an object and click on the select a group of points to just highlight the points that make up one object.  If your VRML does not have the different parts separated as different objects then you must select each point individually (CTL - click to select a point).  I would like to discuss the details of this application so I can make sure you get the assistance you need. 

VRML models must be VRML 97 or 2.0 to work in INSIGHT.  I often find that VRML models from many of the major CAD packages have multiple duplicate surfaces and points and must be cleaned to properly be used within INSIGHT.  I have used a packaged called Accutrans 3D in the past to do this as it is an inexpensive package.  There are other similar tools available that could be used as well.  There is a conversion tool that installs with INSIGHT (called VRML Optimizer) that will eliminate many duplicate points and surfaces but it also combines all objects in the VRML into one object. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,736 Views)
Thanks for the advice!
I'm actually finding the next problem. Although in my VRML file the objects are defined separately in a jerarchy tree, I can't move(rotate, translate) each object individually. I have noticed that when i define a new local system and asign it the points of the object i want move in the way you explain (right click, and then dragging the points to the new local axis), the movement of this object is dependent of the other local systems i have defined for other objects , specially if the slave  nodes of the .cis file has a lower numeration than the object i want to move. The fact is, the movements assigned , for example to the nodes 1 to 100, will affect to the rest of the nodes if i also define for the rest of the nodes other movements. How can i solve this? I send you my .cis file, just in case my explanation is not enough clear. In this file you can see that movements assigned to nodes 1 to 4078, will also affect to nodes 4079 to 7168, and what i would like to do is define a movement for each obeject independently.
Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,722 Views)