DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract Range of Data / Waveform Zoom

I have an NRF recording file with several channels. What I need to do is visualize the data and then extract a small part of the waveforms into a TDM or Matlab file. I actually managed to get all this done in DIAdem, but in a most cumbersome way:

1) Import NRF file into the Data Portal using the DataPlugin
2) Convert all signal channels to Waveform channels (using the function in the ANALYSIS module)
3) Display the waveforms in the VIEW module
4) Zoom downto the sample level in order to figure out where to start and stop the extraction
5) Write down the start/stop x-coordinates (i.e. XStart, XEnd)
6) Switch to the ANALYSIS module and generate a numeric channel with "First value" = Xstart, "Last value" = XEnd and "No. of values" = (XEnd - XStart)/SampleTime
7) Use "Linear Mapping..." to extract the desired data
😎 Convert the extracted data to a waveform channel
9) Export data to desired file format

Now for my questions:
* I'm using DIAdem 10.0 (Base Edition) and would like to know if there is not a much simpler way of getting this job done, i.e. selecting two points on a waveform, click one button and get the data between those points as a new waveform in the Data Portal (ideally for several waveforms in parallel)
* Isn't there any way of zooming out one step in the waveform viewer? I only found zoom on/off which is a rather crude way for navigating)
* Are there any news regarding the topic in the thread "Selecting a range of data from a file" (last posts date back to February 2005)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,206 Views)
Hi,

you should use a Script to do this kind of Application.

When I was in Aachen to learn DIAdem I wrote the attached Script. It makes nearly the same you need, with some user input and so on. But because you have a Base Edition you should consider to switch to an Advanced Edition. You can compare here:

Best regards,

Alex Rudolph
NI Switzerland
Message 2 of 7
(4,196 Views)
Hi Alex,

thanks for your prompt answer. Unfortunately it looks like the system dropped your attachement. Could you please repost your sample script?

Thanks,

Matthias
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,189 Views)

Hi,

the system!!! Ok this time it was on me!

Alex

Message 4 of 7
(4,190 Views)
Hi Alex,

Great, looks like I'm getting the hang of it (actually the 'tag' feature seems to solve most of my problems without even using a script), but I'm still left with a couple of questions:

* How can I run a VBS script with my Base Edition: the whole Script feature is disabled, but I was under the impression that I can run scripts (just not edit/debug)
* Isn't there any way of zooming out one step in the waveform viewer? I only found zoom on/off which is a rather crude way for navigating
* Also how can I precisely (down to the sample level) place the two band cursors? Using the different zoom modes I manage to do it for one of the two cursors, but not the other one.

Best Regards,

Matthias
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,177 Views)
Hi,

* How can I run a VBS script with my Base Edition: the whole Script feature is disabled, but I was under the impression that I can run scripts (just not edit/debug)

... with an Link on the Desktop from your DIAdem. In Properties of this Link, you can set the Parameter:
"DIAdem.exe" "/cScriptStart('MyScript')"

... with the start Script in every Module in DIAdem. Have a look at the Screenshot.

* Isn't there any way of zooming out one step in the waveform viewer? I only found zoom on/off which is a rather crude way for navigating

... I´m sorry Zoom out isn´t anywhere! But you can make it like the second picture. With the upper Graph, you an control what you see in the second Graph. Zoom In/Out, no Problem

* Also how can I precisely (down to the sample level) place the two band cursors? Using the different zoom modes I manage to do it for one of the two cursors, but not the other one.

Sorry, I don´t understand your question! Perhaps you can precisely set you Cursor with the Coordinat Window? Have a look!

Best regards
Alex

Download All
Message 6 of 7
(4,176 Views)
Hi Alex,

let me try to be more precise regarding my zoom problem: I'd like to set both cursors of a "band cursor" to a specific sample in the waveform (e.g. during the rising edge of the red signal at 3.11 and the falling edge around 3.12 in DIAdem1.png). In order to do so, I must zoom in very much (see DIAdem2.png), which allows me indeed to place one of the cursors very precisely, but how can I do the same now for the second one? Since the target position of my second cursor is outside of the zoomed view, I have to scroll around somehow and that's precisely what I don't manage to do without moving the first cursor again (which I just placed with much precision). I could indeed write down the value of the first cursor from the coordinate view, figure out the value for the second one and then restore the value for the first cursor again, but that approach seems quite complicated for such a trivial task.

Regards,

Matthias
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,171 Views)