DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diadem stops loading with an "Activating GUI" message.

We are testing a diadem solution on a new PC using an evaluation verstion of diadem. (10.2) The application does not launch. It stops on the startup splash screen with a message "Activating GUI". This has happened on three PCs now.

Thank William.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(6,602 Views)

WilliamB,

This issue has recently been addressed in this thread:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=60&thread.id=6926

The problem seems to be associated with a Microsoft Hotfix that forces DIAdem to use a wrong .dll file. The Hotfix can be installed automatically when certain software is installed. The thread addresses how to solve the problem (specifically Brad's post in message #8).

Hope this helps!

-Fitz

Message Edited by Fitz on 09-29-2008 01:43 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(6,586 Views)

Hi Fitz,

I saw that post but I do not have the file

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies\x86_policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_x-ww_0f75c32e\8.0.50727.832.Policy.

However I do have the offending MFC80U.DLL (version 8.0.50727.762 ) in

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_3bf8fa05

How do I remove this ?

Can I delete it ?

Ta William

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(6,567 Views)

Hi

Do you have  SQL Server 2008 installed on your PC as there has been a case of this interfering with Diadem? I have not tried this myself but it looks like SQL Server 2008 Express may use this version of the DLL. If you do have SQL Server installed and it is alright for you to uninstall it I would reccomend trying this before we go any further.

Regards

Rich

NI | UK

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(6,559 Views)

Uninstalling MS SQL 2008 prevented diadem from launching. (ie worse as it did not get to the spash screen). It also prevented a tooltray item to do with wifi from launching. Unistalling diadem and reinstalling fixed both of these.

How do I get MS SQL working ?

We wish to use diadem in the field where we have less control over the PC, is there be a fix for this problem?

Is it worth upgradings to v11 ?

Ta william. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(6,548 Views)

Hi William,

There are many excellent reasons to upgrade to DIAdem 11.0, but this is not one of them.  Microsoft has simply provided a hotfix that manhandles the registered Windows DLL usage of various applications, DIAdem included.  DIAdem 11.0 also will not run when the Microsoft hotfix tells Windows to ignore the correct version of the Windows DLL, stored in the registry, that DIAdem is supposed to use.  What makes matters worse is that this/these hotfix(es) is/are now being installed with recent versions of other applications such as SQL Server Express and a AutoDesk.

Microsoft has admitted in their support of DIAdem R&D (for which we had to pay $50), that they made a mistake in issuing a hotfix which forces all applications to use the same version of this Windows DLL.  But there's not much we can do about it at this point except wait for Microsoft to issue a new fix that behaves nicely to existing applications while still addressing whatever issues the hotfix was supposed to fix.  For the time being the only workaround I know of is to disable the hotfix policy file whenever you want to launch DIAdem and enable the policy file wheneverr you  want to use a recent version of AutoDesk or SQL Server Express.

Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(6,534 Views)

I took the sledge hammer approach of uninstalling MS SQL. I could not fine the "policy" that you refer to. Do you have more detail on the "policy" file assosiated with the MSSQL install. Being able to make a minor change to turn this problem on and off would be very useful.

(Is it just SQL server express? Is the full version OK? I need to estimate the effect of this in the field.)

Thanks William.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(6,532 Views)

Hi William,

The SQL Server Express issue was recently reported by a customer calling in for support, and we don't know what the policy file or hotfix is in the case.  We're simply inferring that the same mechanism is occurring as with the AutoDesk applicaiton installing the known hotfix-- inferring based purely on the similar symptoms.  DIAdem R&D was able to track down the policy file and hotfix in that AutoDesk case because a customer in Germany sent in their computer with the symptoms on it, and R&D was able to debug it directly.  To my knowledge you are the second customer to mention a DIAdem and SQL Server collision.  In the first customer's case it was SQL Server Express.

Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(6,511 Views)

I was using DIAem 10.2 for quite sometime now, but didn't use it for the last month or so. Two weeks backs I  install MS Visual studio in my PC.

Today I tried to open DIAdem and it stopped at the 'Activating GUI....' splash screen. It just waits there without giving any error. I tried to rename the policy file mentioned here, but in my PC i only have 8.0.50727.762.policy and not the 8.0.50727.832.Policy file.

Actually before reading the above thred, I had unistalled DIAdem 10.2 and reinstalled DIAdem 11, but the problem still remains. DIAdem still hangs at the same state.

My PC is having SQL server2005 and 2008.

Is there anything I can do to get DIAdem 11 up and running?

Message Edited by kikiduu on 12-10-2008 04:32 AM
------

"A VI inside a Class is worth hundreds in the bush"
യവന്‍ പുലിയാണു കേട്ടാ!!!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(6,185 Views)

Hi, I uninstalled MS SQL. Which I happened not to be using. Having done that I then had to reinstall diadem as the unistall had removed things that were needed.

Good luck.

Message 10 of 22
(6,178 Views)