DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diadem 2012 Freezes on Initialization Screen on Windows 7 mahcine

Solved!
Go to solution

I have recently had a problem starting Diadem 2012 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. The program had been running without any problems for over a year. With no other system changes Diadem 2012 freezes during the initial start/initialization window. I have tried restarting several times and have also attempted to uninstall and reinstall Diadem 2012. None of these strategies have correctd the problem. I was curious if anyone else has had any problems similar to this and if they found a solution to correct the problem. Any help of be of great assistance.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,256 Views)

Hello Mpetrie, 

Were you able to successfully reinstall the software, or was this not even possible?

Also, are you able to do anything in DIAdem at all, or does it just freeze immediately on start-up?

Best wishes! 

Amanda B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,228 Views)

Hi Amanda -

We were able to completely uninstall and then reinstall Diadem 2012 successfully. However, after reinstalling we were still freezing on the start-up/initialization screen. Diadem never fully loads, the Windows process just goes to 0. We attempted to close all applications and try to start Diadem, in case it was a RAM issue. However, this did not solve the problem either.

We previously have not had any issues with this and currently it is only happening on one machine. Is it possible that Diadem is freezing because it is trying to index a folder structure or something? I trided to turn of the data indexer, but that didn't seem to help. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,225 Views)

Hi Mike,

This is not normal behavior.  My best guess is that the DIAdem installation keeps landing on some bad sectors on your hard drive.  How much hard drive space do you have available on that computer?

Another possibility is a conflict with another installed program.  Do you have AutoCAD or VisualC or SQL Server installed on that computer?  Is there any application installed on the misbehaving computer that is not installed on the well behaved computers?

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,221 Views)

The computer software between the systems that work and the one that doesn't are identical. There is no AutoCad, VisualC, or SQL server installed. The hard drive is approximately 500GB and we did try to defragment the harddrive between uninstalling and installing. After working a little, the only difference we could come up with was that a shared network drive shortcut was added to the user's "My Documents" folder which was set to be indexed. After several attempts with no success today, I was just told that it was able to load now. Not sure what the issue was but currently seems to be resolved.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,218 Views)

Hello Mpetrie,

The networked Search Area could result in a long indexing cycle, making the "My DataFinder" slow to finish indexing and unresponsive to requests.  I've never seen that result in a DIAdem start that got stuck on the splash screen, though, so I don't think we've found the smoking gun.  I still consider this a mystery.  I hope the problem stays fixed.  Please let us know if you learn more.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,196 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mpetrie

Thanks Brad. I will keep you posted if we experience the problem again and can evaluate it further at that point.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,194 Views)