DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datafinder doesn't index files failed once - even during reindex

Hello all,

I have the following issue with Datafinder and Diadem 10:

When I generate TDM files and the generation takes a longer time (minutes), it seems like Datafinder tries to index these while they are still locked by the operating system. As this doesn't work, a log file is generated and the Indexing Status is set to "eIndexedFailure". This also happens when I fetch these TDMs via ftp from a RT target.

Now, my problem is that after these files are accessible again, the only way I found to make Datafinder index them is to delete the whole index and reindex my whole data repository. Just doing an index update will not index these files, even if they are not locked anymore. Just deleting the log files does not help, either.

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this issue?

Error message is like this one:
fatal error (80) :Unable to open "D:\060522\060522_22-20-10_SchieneRoh_1s.TDX" to read! (Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird.)
Thanks for your help,

Stefan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,988 Views)

Hi Stefan,

I can think of two workarounds for the symptoms you now report.  First, you could remove the TDM file in question from the Search Area, then add it back to the Search Area.  You could do this programmatically with the DIAdem FileMove() command or the fso.MoveFile() command.  The second option is to remove that Search Area from the DataFinder, add the Search Area back in again, then manually force a re-indexing from the "Indexing" tab of the DataFinder "Properties" dialog.

Now, I'd recommend a process change so that you don't get into this situation in the future.  I'd suggest you create the TDM (and TDX) file in a location that is NOT a Search Area, then when the file is complete, officially move the TDM and TDX files into the Search Area.  This should preclude the problem ever occurring.

Regards,
Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

Message 2 of 5
(3,976 Views)

Brad,

thanks for the suggestions - these two workarounds definitively work. Anyway, it would be much more convenient not to have to care about the indexing. Maybe this is a suggestion for future versions of Datafinder - "if you cannot index a file due to permission problems, try again during the next index update".

Regards

Stefan

...and sorry for the multi-post - we had some proxy problems this morning Smiley Mad

Message Edited by StGl on 05-23-2006 09:32 AM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,969 Views)

Stefan,

I experienced the same issue as you did. 

In addition to Brad's recommendation to create the files in a directory that is not indexed, remember to move the files to another directory if you are going to modifiy the files. 

Jim West

Summitek Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,627 Views)
Hello Stefan,

We did solve a very similar sounding problem in DIAdem 10.1.  Have you tried this with a newer version? (The latest DIAdem version is 10.2.)

DIAdem 10.1 also has a "Reindex file" feature.  This makes pushing files around unnecessary in case the DataFinder still fails to update appropriately.

Hope that helps,
Myrle
For tips and tricks on creating VBScript DataPlugins go to http://dataplugins.blogspot.com.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,617 Views)