DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIAdem v11.1 VIEW very slow to load pan and zoom 2D Axis Graphs

Solved!
Go to solution

Similar to user KJ2, I am finding DIAdem version 2011 very slow when loading data into the view window.

I have two laptops, one running DIAdem 2010 and one the new 2011. Iam loading the same tdms file into both versions.

The 2010 takes longer initially to load the data in the navigator window, but is then almost instant when zooming and panning in the view window.

The 2011 loads the file instantly in navigator, but then takes an age to zoom and pan which is very frustrating when perfoming data analysis.

I can improve the performance to the 2010 level if I load the data with a small reduction interval applied (factor of 2) - this again takes much longer to load in the navigation window, but is now useable in the view window.

The only problem is now that all channels are renamed with the appendage 'sample'.

I assume this is a result of the new 'optimised data loading' feature which I assume is only loading the data when I need it i.e when zooming and panning in the view screen !

Help please, before I resort to re-installing 2010 !

AdeK

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,323 Views)
Solution
Accepted by adek

Hello AdeK,

This is a relatively easy fix:

In the NAVIGATOR, go to the "Settings" menu:

NAV 1.png

In the dialog that will pop up, change the setting to "Always load bulk data"

NAV 2.png

Alternatively, you can also change this in the "General Settings: Compatibility" dialog, but I don't know what the difference between these two methods is.

Hope that helps, no need to go back to version 2010 after these changes. Oh, and don't forget to save your configuration file after you have made the changes to make them permanent!

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,317 Views)

Hello adek,

With DIAdem 2011 we provide different behaviors of loading bulk data. You can select it in the settings of DIAdem NAVIGATOR:

Settings.png

If you select the setting Always load bulk data, DIAdem loads the bulk data into the Data Portal on execution of the load command. In this mode, DIAdem behaves like in earlier versions when loading data. If, however, you select the setting Load bulk data on first access or Load bulk data on modification of channel data, DIAdem loads the bulk data when they are needed in DIAdem. Loading then starts either on first access of channel data or on first modification of channel data, depending on the selected setting. You can use these two settings to quickly load TDM and TDMS files with long numeric channels into the Data Portal, and view and edit the associated data in DIAdem.

For example, if you have lots of channels in your files, but you just need a few of them for your analysing and reports it often make sense to use one of the new loading behaviors to reduce your turnaround times. More information about this subject you find in the DIAdem online help.

Greetings

Walter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,316 Views)

Simple !.

Thanks very much...if i'd only read the manual.......

AdeK

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,305 Views)

I have made the suggested changes and I still get extremely slow loading Data.

Is it possible there are some other settings that required?

The slowness of loading has jolted me back a couple of decades! 

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,052 Views)

Hello smoothbore,

Are you loading TDMA files? If you are, they may be fragmented and the solution is the TDMS defragmentation VI:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/glang/tdms_defrag/

If you have another data file type, please be more specific as to the circumstances of your slow down experience ...

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,047 Views)

Hey Otmar thanks for  the response.

I am using the TDMS file format.

After I load the TDMS Data file into DIAdem I make changes to the  2 Axis plot, such as splitting the viewable area or selecting sections of data.  ANy of these operations causes the data to be redrawn.  This "redraw" is painstakingly slow (Reminiscent of graphical refresh rates in the 80's)

The data files I am using are quite large,  (200000+ kb)  but when I tried to manipulate the data on an older version of DIAdem I get acceptable performance. 

I have also tried changing the "Load bulk data on modification of channel data" in the NAVIGATOR settings as well as "Always load bulk data" under the compatibility tab.

Neither of these changes have any effect to the data refresh performance.

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,035 Views)

Hi Smooth,

I know we've worked on things together in the past, but I can't remember if I sent you a VIEW event.  Your symptoms sound like there is a VIEW event firing in the backgrorund.  Please try running the following line of code in the SCRIPT panel to ensure that your VIEW cursor is not firing events:

View.Events.OnCursorChanged = ""

One other possibility, do your channels in the Data Portal look greyed-out, with an extra link arrow on their channel icons?

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,031 Views)

Hey Brad,

You are correct you have helped me out quite a bit in the past.

I have attached a couple of screen shots of what I have tried up until this point.

The first one show a copy of the code you sent me which I ran.  AFter running this script I did not see any increased performance to the redraw.

The other photo illustrates that my Data Portal is not greyed out.  The plot to the left of the data portal takes about 30 seconds to load every time I make changes to the view.

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,029 Views)

Hi smoothdurban,

I forget, what version of DIAdem are you using?  Is this a new problem with your current DIAdem installation, or have you never tried to look at longer data channels in VIEW before?  That's not a very long data channel that you sent a picture of, and it's clearly not register-loaded.  If you've made the load configuration changes in DIAdem 2011 or have a previous version of DIAdem, then the data must be loaded into RAM on your computer.  DIAdem would have automatically calculated the channels' minima and maxima during the load process, so the graph should be ready to go.

The only thing I can think of is your computer.  How much RAM do you have free before you launch DIAdem?  How many CPUs do you have, and what clock speed do they run at?  What operating system are you using?  Is it a 32 bit or 64 bit operating system?

My laptop is able to redraw a VIEW graph containing one channel of length 250 million values (250,000,000) in about 4 seconds.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,019 Views)