From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIAdem crashes if script has an error.

I am trying to run scripts written in DIAdem 9.1 on DIAdem 10.2 and am having problems with DIAden crashing.  These scripts worked on 9.1, 10.0, and 10.1 but in 10.2 if an error occurs DIAdem crashes.  When I look at the log, I see that DIAdem "Cannot call the user command without errors."  The command that is trying to execute is an EventClick in a SUD.  DIAdem also crashes if I press cancel on a windows dialog called from DIAdem.  The previous versions of DIAdem handled the cancel and the script perforemed the appropriate actions. 

Does anyone know if this is a bug in DIAdem 10.2 and is there a workaround?

Thanks,

AJL
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,913 Views)
Hello AJL,

Can you please let us know what version of Windows you are using, as well as the specs (processor, available RAM, etc.) of your computer. Also, in what directory did you install DIAdem (did you use the defaults or change the directory manually)?

DIAdem 10.2 uses a different directory structure (due to compatability changes for Windows VISTA) - so that might have something to do with the issues.

Hopefully we can tell more once we know your computer specs,

Otmar
Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,891 Views)

Sorry.

I'm running DIAdem 10.2 under Windows XP SP2 (with the most recent patches) on a computer with a Pentium 4 3 GHz processor with 1 GB of RAM.  I installed DIAdem 10.2 using the default folder structure.  The scripts will work as long as there is no error or the cancel is pressed on a windows dialog box that is called from my script.  While troubleshooting, I added a msgbox in an If statement for the dialog cancel.  The message box pops up signifying cancel was pressed and recieved in my script.  After clicking OK to the message box, DIAdem crashed to the desktop.

Thanks in advance for any help resolving this problem,

AJL

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,888 Views)

Hi AJL,

I have personally noticed unexpected crashing in DIAdem 10.2 in only two scenarios:

1)  I have programmatically opened a REPORT object with GRAPHObjOpen() but the script has terminated before closing the REPORT obbject.  If I then do anything to force the REPORT panel to refresh, such as try to move any REPORT object, or if I try to configure that unclosed REPORT object, DIAdem crashes abruptly.

2)  Trying to use certain commands in custom menus, which used to work in DIAdem 10.1, now cause DIAdem 10.2 to crash abruptly.

Any chance you're tripping over either of these wires?
Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,859 Views)
Hi AJL! Hi Brad!

We ran into DIAdem 10.2 crashes as well and reported this to R&D. We are not yet able to reproduce it. The reason always was a script runtime error in a SUD dialog. Unfortunately we have at the moment not the time to setup a testing environment to enable R&D to find the reason.

Matthias
Matthias Alleweldt
Project Engineer / Projektingenieur
Twigeater?  
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,854 Views)

Matthias,

Please keep us up to date on any findings from R&D.  One thing to note though, I have experienced crashes even when I do not call a SUD.  DIAdem will crash when pressing cancel on a windows dialog box.

Thanks,

AJL

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,834 Views)

Hi AJL,

What sort of Windows dialogs?  R&D can not do much for us until we can give them a repeatable scenario to reproduce the crash.  I do not possess such a repeatable scenario-- until I do it would be unlikely for R&D to fix the problem.  Any additional information you can provide would increase the chance that we can find a way to reproduce the behavior.  Once it's reproducible on the developer's computer, it's usually a short path to the fix.

Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,826 Views)