From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIAdem DataFinder not showing newly indexed files unless DataFinder SE is run manually

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

Recently (over the last couple weeks) my DIAdem DataFinder has not been updating after DataFinder SE says that it has run a complete indexing.  I've tried closing/reopening DIAdem and refreshing the screen, but I am not able to query the new files.  As soon as I remote onto the DataFinder SE computer and manually run a complete index, I am able to see the files in DIAdem.  Any idea what would cause this?  I'm still new to DataFinder SE...

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,088 Views)

Hello Chris,

In the screenshot you can see that the parameter „Observe File System“ ist set to NO.

Please can you check whether you switched-on in the DFSE menu

Settings : “DataFinder”

at the Tab : “Indexer”

in the Settings for “Automatically indexing”

the “Continuous scan for new files”?

Greetings

Walter

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,024 Views)

Hi Walter,

Thank you for the response.  Yes, I have DFSE set to "Continuous Scan"DataFinderSE Continuous Indexing 170406.PNG

Best,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,011 Views)

Hey Chris,

What kind of drive or drives do you have your data files stored on?  Are they on a local drive on the same computer as the DFSE, or are they on a network drive shared from a server computer, or are they on a NAS drive?  What file types/DataPlugins are you using?

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,989 Views)

Hi Brad,

The search area that contains the TDM and tdx files is on an external hard drive connected to a separate computer on the LAN.  This is only temporary while we are waiting for a network storage upgrade to happen.  The DFSE runs on a virtual machine connected to the same LAN.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,986 Views)

Hi Chris,

That's three degrees of separation between the DFSE and the data files.  Is that external drive that contains the TDM and TDX files connected by a USB cable or an ethernet cable?  It's possible that the connection through the virtual machine to the actual drive on a different computer in the network is what's causing the hiccup.  Are you planning to keep the DFSE on a virtual machine long term?

It's entirely possible that updating your data storage will resolve this issue.  How long until that happens?  In the meantime, can you test putting some of your TDM and TDX files onto a native drive (C:\, D:\, etc.) on the DFSE computer (both inside the virtual machine and outside the virtual machine) and also onto a native drive on the computer that the external drive is connected to?  You don't need many TDM/TDX files, and they can be the smallest ones.  I'm curious if any of these three debugging Search Areas show similar symptoms to the external drive.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,956 Views)

Hi Brad,

For each of the search area cases you requested in your post, the newly created search areas only updated on my DIAdem client when I first added them to the DataFinder on the DFSE virtual machine.  Any changes I made to the search areas after that were not apparent on the DIAdem client, even  after refreshing the sceen.  I did notice that while adding the new search areas, I got this error:

170413 DFSE ClientPath Error.png

Not sure exactly what the issue is here because when I add the search area, DFSE seems to just pick a client path to match the "path".  At any rate, I'd sure like to know why the original search area on the external USB hard drive decided to not automatically index anymore...

Forgot to add that I don't actually know when the network storage upgrade will happen, but I do know that the current arrangement was working for at least a month.

Best regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,901 Views)

The "No Client Path Selected" error was easily fixed by just changing the search area path to "\\datafinder01\users\pesko\VM_C_DRIVE".  The end result in terms of automatically detecting file changes and updating the index was the same - it still failed.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,887 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris_P_SD

Hi Chris,

thanks for providing those details.

I've seen, you activated the "Continuous scan..." option. In this mode, DataFinder only detects new files, but no updates/changes to existing files.

The option "Data file changes" (default) will also detect changed files. Have you tried this option as well? This option should make the DataFinder behave as expected.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,871 Views)

Hi Stefan,

That seems to have worked!  I'm seeing new files in DIAdem now as they get generated without having to login to DSFE and start the indexer manually.  I'm still not clear why the "Continuous scan..." didn't actually detect new files and make them available to DIAdem...  I'm not too worried about it at this point since it seems to be working again.  Thanks to all for the help!

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,865 Views)