DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIAdem 10.1 stopped working today

Hello,  my DIAdem 10.1 (with SP1) suddenly stopped working today and I am not sure why.  I have rebooted my computer, uninstalled/reinstalled DIAdem.  When I attempt to start DIAdem now, the splash screen is stuck on "Activating GUI ..."

My computer is running Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.  2CPU @ 1.87 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM. 

Any help is appreciated!

Julia
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(7,631 Views)
A little more information: shortly before I noticed I couldn't use DIAdem anymore, I was starting multiple instances of DIAdem with a batch file.  The general contents of the batch file are:

"C:\Program Files\National Instruments\DIAdem 10.1\DIAdem.exe" /CScriptStart("'StartScript.VBS'")

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(7,623 Views)

Hi Julia,

I am not familiar with that particular symptom.  By any chance did you or your IT department upgrade any system software recently?  Perhaps a Windows service pack, or a new version of McAffee virus protection, or some other "watch-doggy" software layer that could pay attention to and potentially shut down the running of VBScripts (which is often suspected of being a virus)?

I assume you've tried to reboot...
Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(7,597 Views)

Hi Brad,

There were some Windows 'patches' installed yesterday, but only after the problem was noticed.  I have rebooted, and uninstalled and re-installed.  I might try installing DIAdem 10.2 to see if I see a similar problem.  Any more ideas?!

Thanks!

Julia

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(7,590 Views)
Hi - my problem is fixed - we uninstalled/reinstalled everything on the computer and now all is well.  Thank you for your help!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(7,534 Views)
Next time you might try to replace your Config.ini file with a backup, or the default in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\DIAdem 10.0\, it worked for me once.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(7,513 Views)

I got the same "error" when I installed NI software almost directly after a clean OS installation (so there should't be e.g. register or file errors from old software installations). From special (other than Office etc.) software only Autodesk Inventor Professional was installed before NI software (in the first place a OS re-install was needed, because I tried to update Autodesk Inventor. And I got errors during Autodesk installation even I had removed the older version version of Autodesk Inventor and cleaned the windows register as good as I could.). Because Diadem had worked in previus installation in the same computer, I suspected that this error has something to do with the Autodesk Inventor.

So I made a test on a another computer. First a clean OS install (XP Pro SP3), then NI (Diadem 10.2) and finally Autodesk (Inventor Pro 2009) -> no problem with Diadem use or Autodesk installation.

Then on this same computer clean OS install (XP Pro SP3), then Autodesk (Inventor Pro 2009) and finally NI (diadem 10.2) -> Diadem is stuck to "Activating GUI..."

Conclusion: Installation of Autodesk Inventor Professional 2009 messes up some common windows component/register value or file that is used also by Diadem GUI.

Message Edited by Osku Kaijalainen on 08-07-2008 12:03 AM

Message Edited by Osku Kaijalainen on 08-07-2008 12:04 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(7,025 Views)

Hi Osku Kaijalainen,

I apologize for the slow reply.  DIAdem R&D did eventually track down an issue which I believe is at the root of your problems.  There is a Microsoft hotfix which adds version 8.0.50727.762 of the Windows "MFC80U.DLL" and furthermore forces all Windows applications to use this version instead of the version each application states in the registry that it should be using.  This is non-standard behavior, even for a hotfix, and Microsoft has admitted that it was a mistake to take this heavy-handed approach in this case.  It turns out that at least one version of AutoDesk chose to install this hotfix (it does successfully address some issues), and this results in DIAdem not starting.

You can read all about the Windows hotfix at the following URL:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B934586&x=16&y=13

The workaround to get DIAdem working on a computer with this hotfix is to rename the following policy file to something else: 

"C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies\x86_policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_x-ww_0f75c32e\8.0.50727.832.Policy"

Brad Turpin
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(6,789 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem and tried the workaround, but it didn`t work. Moreover I have other policies, e.g. 8.0.50727.762.policy....

Do you have another solution?

Regards, Jürgen

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(6,734 Views)

Hi Juergen,

The policy 8.0.50727.762 is exactly the version that DIAdem 11.0 was tested with, so the fact that you have this policy and not the 8.0.50727.832 version is a good sign.  It sounds like your issue with DIAdem not starting is somehow different from the other customer(s) on this thread, even though the symtoms sound identical.

What version of DIAdem are you using?  Did it work for a while and then stop working, or did it not work immediately after installation?  Did you install any other applications or Windows updates after DIAdem was working and before DIAdem stopped working?

We're fishing for clues here,

Brad Turpin
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(6,722 Views)