DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIADEM and Microsoft SQL Server .mdf files

Hi,

I'm trying to read data base with Diadem in Microsoft SQL Server. The Data Base exetenction looks to be .mdf and Diadem doesn't support this format. I'm doing some mistakes? Or Diadem is really incopatible with this format?

Thank a lot

Matteo 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,804 Views)

Hi Matteo,

DIAdem can connect to the MS SQL Server database as a data server, not a data file.  You need to either execute an SQL query in a DIAdem VBScript (check out the shipping examples), or you need to configure a DIAdem Data Store to point to the SQL Server database.  In the latter case you will be able to see the table and column structure of the database in the DIAdem NAVIGATOR and interactively select tables and/or columns to load into DIAdem by dragging them into the Data Portal.  This is only useful, however, if you really want to load ALL the values of a set of database columns, which is not common.  As soon as you want to load particular records from a set of database columns, you need to execute an SQL query, and for this you need to run a VBScript.

Note that in either case you will need to know the ADO connection string to your database.

Ask as you have further questions,

Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,796 Views)

If I want to open the MDF file in Diadem 2012 I would need to set up the ADO string.

How can I create this ADO string and what should be in it. I only have the MDF file on a local computer and no idea what to do next.

Thanks,

Marcel

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,399 Views)

Hi Marcel,

The MDF file is a database dump file, used to transfer records from data abse 1 to data base 2.  You need to import that dump into a new SQL Server data base, then communicate with that SQL Server data base using ADO commands in a DIAdem VBScript.  I can help with the latter part, but you have to create the SQL Server data base on your end.  I know of no way of interacting with the MDF file directly.

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,374 Views)

Thanks Brad,

I'll get back to you on this topic in a couple of weeks. Holidays first and then convince one of our software guys to build me the SQL out of the 90 GB MDF file.

I tried the SQL example which was really straight forward, so hopefully I can get this big file to work as well.

Thanks,

Marcel

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,368 Views)

Hi Marcel,

Sounds like a plan.  I'll be happy to help you connect to and query the SQL data base once it's created from that very large dump file.

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,328 Views)

Hi Brad,

I need your help to load SQL Server data into database.

There is a remote server located in intranet having a SQL server. I want to explore those data in DIADEM in local pc connected in same intranet.

I followed all procedures but not succedded.

I can create data store having that sql server connection successfully but not able to load data in DIADEM.

Please give me step by step procedures to load all tables and columns from SQL server database in to DIADEM,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,105 Views)