From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating 3D Model with Script

Hello,

I am trying to create a model in DIAdem using a script.  I am performing temperature tests on wall ovens and I have cabinets that have thermocouples built into them to record wall temperatures.  I want to create a model of the cabinet so I can view the temperature changes associated with my data.  

The "Hot Plate Example" in DIAdem is exactly what I want to accomplish, but customized with my own model.  I have been working on this project for over a month and I have been in contact with an Application Engineer at NI to try and figure this out, however we have not been able to solve it.  She gave me a script file that creates basic shapes, (cube, flat rectangle, cylinder, triangle) but I cannot figure out how to modify it.  I would really like to have the script file that created the Hot Plate Example so I can try to figure out how they made it.  (I was told it was made using a script and not much else)

My model is very simple, basically a large rectangular box, but I want the sides to be surfaces not thick pieces of material.  See my images for reference.  The CABINET file is one that I have made in SolidWorks, and it works but I would like the color shifts to be on the inside as well.  They only appear on the outer surface.  The rectangle image is what the script created that I have been trying to modify to be similar to the hot plate example.  I need multiple surfaces to make a cabinet and I cannot figure out how to do it.  This is a very important project and I only have a few weeks left to finish it.

Thank you for the help,

Pat

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,753 Views)

Hello pwinkels,

I don't have the details from your setup in DIAdem which results in clors only displayed on the outside of the cabinet. I assume that the model in SolidWorks has an inside and an outside surface. If so, when you assign a signal to a vertex on the outside, the corresponding vertex on the inside doesn't get the signal data. If that assumption is correct, there are two ways to solve the problem:

a) changing the model

b) connecting the vertices on the inside of the model with teh same signal like the correcpondig signal on the outside. That way teh outside surface and teh inside surface behave the same (coloring wise)

b) might be simpler to do than a).

Please let me know whether the approach described under b) works for you.

Andreas

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,717 Views)

AndreasH_Ha,

I thought of both of your suggestions and I would prefer not to just add more sensors to the inside of the cabinet.  I want to know how to create a model like the Hot Plate example in DIAdem.  Obviously it can be done, it was used to create the example, I just need to know how they did it.  I appreciate your suggestions.

Pat

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,708 Views)

Hello PWinkels,

the model for DIAdem was created a while aho, using a Finite Element Software which is no longer available.Those Systems in general give you quite some control on each surface of the model. Can you read back the model into Solidworks ? Not the original SolidWorks one, but the STL or VRML model you prepared for DIAdem.If that i spossible, SolidWorks should allow you to remov eteh inner surfaces.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,704 Views)

I would like to see the source and references,creating a 3D model with script would be i guess is a tedius task to do.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,351 Views)

Is there any free software for creating wrlm file (which cooperate with diadem) I tried to use NX and Catia 5 without suscess. I am not able to conect points to surface, or

When I prepare more surfaces each of surface have its own points. In easy case is possible to create text file, but difficult shapes?

Is posible to solve by script renumbering of points (for example according coordinations) and accessing signals? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,650 Views)