DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colored 3D-Surface with non-consistent x- and y- coordinates

For the plotting of the transmission efficiency a 3D diagramm is needed, in which the efficiency is plotted as a surface versus speed and tractive force. The input is a triple of speed, tractive force and efficiency.

Example:
Speed   Force   Efficiency
1            10           0,66
1            20           0,71
1            30           0,75
2             9            0,67
2            18           0,73
2            27           0,76
3             ..             ..
..             ..             ..

The max tractive force has to be decreased with rising speed in order to not overcome the maximum output power of the drive. Therefore a standard matrix is not able to capture the characteristics of these signals. I know that in "FlexPro" it is possible to create a signal, that consists of the triple and than you can design a surface plot out of this data.

Every advice is welcomed! How can I improve the input data? How can I process the exixting data? What are the settings for the 3D plot?
Message 1 of 6
(3,800 Views)
Hi IFAS_Ko,

if you use DIAdem 9.1 or 10.0 you must interpolate a surface matrix structure from your triple data first before creating a 3D plot. This can be done interactively by clicking "Modul ANALYSIS->3D surface functions->Interpolation of a matrix" or running a VBS script which calls the ANALYSIS function ChnD3Interp directly.

After creating the matrix you can build a 3D plot with curve type "Surface".
I've attached an example consisting of triple data, a script and a REPORT layout. Store all files into one directory and run "3D-Data.vbs".

In DIAdem 10.1 which is released in the next weeks it is much more easier creating 3D plots from triple data. Surfaces are interpolated automaticlly. Furthermore Characteristic diagrams containing isolines can be created in a comfortable way.

Christian
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,792 Views)

Hi IFAS_Ko,

Certainly DIAdem 10.1 would make this considerably easier, but if you have to do this with DIAdem 9.1 or 10.0, here is a step-by-step description, lifted from the DIAdem 9.1 Hands-On exercises.

Hope that helps,
Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,782 Views)

Hi ChristianW,

thank you very much for the very fast response. but there is one problem left. As the tractive force for 2 km/h never exceeds 27, I don't want the programm to interpolate further than these 27 for the speed of 2 km/h.

As an example i add a picture that was generated out of "Flexpro". The 3D- diagramm is turned in order to have the view from the top.

I am sure, that Diadem can do that, too, but I don't know how.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,778 Views)
Hi IFAS_Ko,

you can limit the interpolated surface to a boundary curve i.e. the convex hull.
Just go to the sub dialog "modul ANALYSIS->Surfaces->Interpolate->Analysis..." and specify the limiting polygon.
Alternatively, in my script example set D3GRIDCALCALL = 0.

Christian
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,758 Views)

Hi IFAS_Ko,

The "convex hull" bordering that was mentioned above is one of the steps in the Hands-On Exercise 7 documentation and resource files that I posted above, in case you have further questions how to invoke it.

Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,739 Views)