From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Number Saving/Reloading Behavoir

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

I have come across an some unexpected behavior that I wanted to share and determine if this is common.

I have a script that loads test data into group1 with 4 data channels then creates another group (group2) and loads 4 more channels into this group.

Then the script creates 2 more channels in group1 resulting in the following channel number identification

group1

channel #1 - time

channel #2 - pressure

channel #3 - load

channel #4 - volts

channel #9 - calc

channel #10- calc2

group2

channel #5 - time1

channel #6 - pressure1

channel #7 - load1

channel #8 - volts1

My script then assigns these channel numbers to a particular table in a report template and everything is presented correctly

I then save the data in the portal as a .tdms file and the report .TDV file.

However I have noticed that when I reload the saved tdms and .TDV file things are no longer presented correctly.

The data is loaded as shown below, and my report table is referencing channels #9 &10 to a particular column however in the original data file channels 9 & 10 were located at [1]/[5] & [1]/[6]  (as shown above) however when I reloaded the saved data file DIAdem reassigned the channel numbers as shown below

group1

channel #1 - time

channel #2 - pressure

channel #3 - load

channel #4 - volts

channel #5 - calc

channel #6 - calc2

group2

channel #7 - time1

channel #8 - pressure1

channel #9 - load1

channel #10 - volts1

Is this common?  If so how can I work around this?

I am using DIAdem 2015 32bit SP2

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,757 Views)

Hi,

you can use option to recognize channels by names, not by their numbers. By the way, is it allowed to create some channels in two groups and later add more channel to the first one? Is it overwriting the memory allocated or DIAdem is smart enough to prevent this action? Because I think I had some issues with this in the past...

Untitled.png

Best regards,

Piotr

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,735 Views)

Your suggestion would work if all channels names are unique in all groups however I may have channel names that are identical in different groups which may cause other problems

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,720 Views)

Hi,

see printscreen below, please.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,717 Views)

What version of DIAdem are you using?

I don't have an options tab in my settings drop down

Untitled.png

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,714 Views)

Hi,

I'm using 2012 SP1. Maybe try to find it by yourself, like looking to DIAdem Settings in your drop-down menu, etc.?

It should be very easy to find I think... 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,712 Views)

I found where to make the changes however there is no option to change to channel number in the name oriented references. And even if there was what effect would this have if two or more channels names where the same in multiple groups?

Untitled1.png

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,709 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author smoothdurban

Hi Smooth,

I would recommend that you call the ChnRenumber() command after programmatically loading those channels.  The saving to file and reloading from file of the channels will always result in a renumbering of the channels.  If you call ChnRenumber() before you link to the channels in the REPORT layout by channel number, then the layout will work both before the data is saved and after it is reloaded.  You will need to change your current layout once to correspond to the renumbered channels, but then you should be good.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,698 Views)

Thanks Brad that did the trick!

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,693 Views)