From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create storage target

I regularly receive this error message when trying to save a file that already exists - that is to say, overwriting an existing file after modifying it:

New Picture (1).jpg

When it occurs I simply press CTRL+S and save it that way.

I'd be grateful for any clues as it means nothing to me.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(7,254 Views)

Hello,

this message occurs, if the file is write protected or if there are no write permissions to the folder or path.
For this reason, CTRL+S will not work to overwrite the source file.

The path "y:\..." could be a network path, containing write protected source files.
Could you check this please?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(7,229 Views)

Hi Simon,

Could you list the steps you take to see this message? Is it just saving from the file menu, or are you doing this with a script? Perhaps then we can replicate this issue.

It looks like you are saving to a network mapped drive, does this occur on local files too?

Regards,

Ian S
Applications Engineer CLA
National Instruments UK&Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(7,227 Views)

Hi,

The steps I take are:

Open .dat file

Modify

Press the Save TDM File As button

(File saves successfully on all occassions)

Open .tdm file

Modify

Press the same button

Error message occurs.

However, this does not always occur and I haven't been able to rectify it manually for the purposes of this diagnosis. I always use CTRL+S as the solution to the problem (contrary to the statement from ThomasWH).

The path is a mapped network drive where the vast majority of my work is saved. I couldn't say if the problem happens to locally saved files because I can't get the problem to occur at my command.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(7,214 Views)

Hi Simon,

I've tried to recreate the problem without any luck (perhaps not surprising, as it would be more widely reported if it was that easy to occur).

I found one other reported instance of this problem where it was also on a server machine, and one where the save was on the 😧 drive, so I'm not sure that the remote save is causing the problem (saving on network is a common scenario).

You could try repairing DIAdem which may solve the problem, but if the CTRL+S is working ok for you, it might be best just to continue with that for the future.

Regards,

Ian S
Applications Engineer CLA
National Instruments UK&Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(7,172 Views)

This happened to me today, did you found any solution?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(5,359 Views)
Not yet I'm afraid. It also happens to some of my colleagues but we haven't learnt why it occurs yet.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(5,347 Views)

Dear,

I am working with a script to save the data in the dataportal as a csv file. It was saving the file normally and the I add some more info to put in the header of the file and after that I am getting the same message.

The script is finished.

231 14:03:37 Error:

Cannot create storage target.

Any idea? The target folder in my case I am sure is not protected and do not have writting prohibitions...

Please help.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(5,050 Views)

Hi Maria,

The csv DataPlugin that installs with DIAdem, called "Textfile - Auto detect (*.csv)" in the "File>>Save as" dialog, only writes the name of each channel and all the channel values.  It does not write any other header information.  It also only writes channels from 1 Group in the Data Portal.

How were you trying to add information to the header of the *.csv file?  Were you creating properties in the Data Portal and hoping the DataPlugin would write them to the *.csv file, or were you manipulating the *.csv DIAdem created interactively in an application such as Notepad?

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(5,038 Views)

Dear Brad,

In fact I was using one script I found in the forums, created by you I think... it add the units under the names of the channels and then create the csv file...

ASCII Export with CSV Headers

I just reinitialize DIAdem and it stops happening... But don't know if the error will come again...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(5,031 Views)