cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calulate area under curve: Hystresis

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi jul136nne,

Why don't you post your data set or email it to me at brad.turpin@ni.com?  If you only have one waveform channel that contains three cycles, then you don't have a hysteresis curve.  For a hysteresis curve you need cycling x values AND the corresponding measured Y values for each X value and each cycle.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(1,557 Views)

hai brad,

i tried many  ways of calculating area under the hystersis loop, but most of them turned to be not fruitful.

the problem statement:

each cycle of my hystersis consists of three loops and there 20 cycles.

in each cycle there are about 400 data points....

waiting for reply

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(1,521 Views)

Hi s.basha,

You will need to split the Displacement and Force channels containing N cycles into N different Groups with Displacement and Force channels in them.  Then you can integrate the Force vs. Displacement in each Group in order to determine the area for each hysteresis cycle.  Do you want the area enclosed between the rising force curve and the falling Force curve?

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

Message 13 of 15
(1,514 Views)

Thanks for u reply,

yes, i need to calculate the area under both the rising and falling curve. now i am attaching the data of only one cycle. please let me know the procedure how to calculate the area under the curve (using excel).

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(1,506 Views)

Hi s.basha,

If you integrate the Force vs. Displacement data in DIAdem ANALYSIS for the values of exactly one cycle, the last value of the resulting "Integral" channel will contain the enclosed area below the rising envelope and above the falling envelope.  If you want the individual areas under the rising curve and falling curve, then you will need to integrate just these values separately.  The falling curve integral is negative because the X axis values are decreasing, this is why you get the enclosed central area automatically by integrating the full cycle.

I have no idea how to do that in Excel.

Please let us know if you need help splitting your data set into separate cycle groups or in any other way automating your calculations in DIAdem.

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(1,497 Views)