DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN Converter error: Invalid number of data bytes

Hello,

I'm trying to convert a NI CAN logfile, using a database file of the type .ncd.

I keep getting this error message: CAN Converter error: Invalid number of data bytes.

Is there any help on how to solve this. Only thing that I found on the net was:

"R&D has discovered the problem-- some of the hex codes in your log file are only 1 character (instead of the expected 2 characters).  They think they can expand the CAN Converter to read 1 character hex codes as well"

But I don't see how this solves my problem immediately. I'm using diadem 2010 and tried everything I could.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,626 Views)

Hello,

I am Ed from National Instruments Applications Engineering. I have been forwarded your query with regards to the CAN Converter in DIAdem.

Firstly, I was hoping you could provide me to a link where it is stated that this is a known issue and R&D are currently working on this? I have been struggling to locate such a mention of this issue.

Additionally, I was wondering whether you could attach your .ncd file or message this to myself so I may review the character changes, what we could to is develop a secondary converter which will convert the hex format to double digit and then you should be able to use the CAN converter. We may also be able to achieve this through VB Scripting such that this can be integrated into DIAdem (although not the CAN Converter, it will primarily introduce an additional step to the conversion process).

Best regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,577 Views)

Dear Ed,

Thank you for your response.

The information I found was related to these discussions:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/DIAdem/Can-Converter/td-p/1441688

http://www.mswiki.com/can-converter/

Bonjour,
Suite au probléme rencontré ("can converter error : invalid number of data bytes") pour convertir mes  fichier de type "vector ASCII" (.asc) avec ma bus database configuration (.dbc), sujet du 02-07-2011, votre réponse en message privé été: "R&D has discovered the problem-- some of the hex codes in your log file are only 1 character (instead of the expected 2 characters).  They think they can expand the CAN Converter to read 1 character hex codes as well".
DIAdem R&D is adapting the CAN Converter dll to work with your submitted CAN log and database files.  We hope to be able to soon send you an updated dll that you can use in DIAdem 2010 SP1.
Avez vous réalisé un updated dll ?
Cordialement

Hi POPPOTE,
My apologies for the long delay.  R&D has indeed addressed this issue, and it is scheduled to release with DIAdem 2012 SP1.  I'm not sure when the SP1 will release though, so I'd like to send you the DLL behind the Bus Log Converter so you can try out the solution on your existing DIAdem 2012.  Do you in fact have access to DIAdem 2012, or are you still using an earlier version, in which case which version?  It would be most convenient for R&D to provide only a solution for DIAdem 2012 and later versions.
You can email me directly at [email protected]
Regards,
Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instuments

In the meantime I got a little bit further, being able to convert some files, with some .ncd files. I will provide you the file in a moment. Any solution with which I will be able to retrieve the CAN data that I logged is satisfying, thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,548 Views)