DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN Bus Log Converter Absolute Timestamp

Solved!
Go to solution

I am experimenting with using the CAN Bus Log Converter to convert raw CAN bus data in a TDMS file to Signal/Value data for analysis.

My understanding is that the Timestamp to Raw functions store the absolute timestamp (I've verified the timestamps in my CAN messages are absolute) but after running it through the CAN Bus Log Converter, the Time channel seems to only show as relative time (well...a relative number of seconds).

Looking at the properties of the group/channel, I have the following:

Group:

CANDateTimeStamp - 09/25/2015 10:19:16

CAN TimeStamp - 6.36103091565499E+10

Time Channel:

Display Format: Numeric (should this not be time?)

Minimum: 0

Maximum: 63.40234 etc.

I've only just started using DIAdem in anger and I'm currently trying out a few things whilst working through the online training.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,464 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sam_Sharp

Hi Sam,

I'm curious, were you angry before you started using DIAdem or because DIAdem frustrated you?  The Bus Log Converter creates a relative Time channel for each message but includes the absolute DateTime offset both as a human readable date time string and as a DIAdem number of seconds.  If you add that huge number you mentioned to all the Time channel values and then change the Time channel from Numeric display to Time display, you'll get absolute DateTime values.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,404 Views)

It didn't come across in text so I'm not sure if that was a joke or you were being serious Smiley Very Happy (I think it might be a British phrase but using something 'in anger' means you're using it seriously/fully for it's intended purpose, rather than just playing around with it! It doesn't mean I'm angry when I'm using it!)

Thanks for the information.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,391 Views)

Hello,

I just came to the same problem and the information here helped me to be able to show my measurements in absolute time.

I am just wondering if there is an easier way of doing this in the newer versions of diadem, I am using version 2021 and at least, I was not able to find it.

Any comments would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,141 Views)