DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D model generation

I need to generate a 3d models from a set of 2d laser scans and a CCD camera.Can it be done in DIAdem?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,068 Views)

Hi cctt126,

Perhaps, depending on what you want, exactly.  Let's say you're taking horizontal 2D laser scans of an object, each at a different height.  One thing you could do is load each scan into DIAdem as a separate channel, and plot each scan as a separate 2D curve.  If the curve density is pretty good, then you get a reasonable image in DIAdem-- I am including a similar example attached below.  This approach could display arbitrarily shaped objects, but with a granularity not exceeding 250 horizontal 2D curves.

Or you could import all the separate 2D scans and then use 3D interpolation to create a 3D mesh.  The interpolation could be carried out with arbitrary granularity, but you would only be able to specify one Z value for each XY cartesian pair, so only some 3D shapes could be displayed.  The example below also briefly shows a 3D mesh image in DIAdem.

What DIAdem will NOT do for you is create a 3D CAD model out of your raw data.  If this is what you mean, then you need to look elsewhere.

Let me know if you want further information on either of these approaches,
Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,042 Views)