cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
AlphaTreo

Quick Data Browsing

Hello

Thank you for your request. We understand your suggestion but given the age of this entry and the fact that just a few sponsors are supporting it, we have decided to decline this suggestion and prefer to develop more frequently requested features instead. We hope you understand this. 

Greetings

Walter

I have talked to Brad, Otmar, and (most recently) Darrin about this, so here is an explanation if you guys are reading...

I use DIAdem for data browsing and analysis, but I also use another program (which shall remain nameless) from another company (which shall remain nameless).  This program sets stuff up a little differently, and by doing so has a huge time-saving advantage.  An individual test run (or a collection of runs) is stored in a folder.  Inside each folder is one file per recorded channel.  So, if I wanted to look at some data, I would select the channels I want, and then graph them.  I can, of course create multiple graphs, channel tables, etc.  So this is similar to the VIEW pane in DIAdem, and there is no evident advantage with one program over the other at this point.

Now, let's say I wanted to view those same graphs and channel tables based on a different set of data.  In DIAdem I would have to delete the data from the DATA PORTAL and then load in the new data which would then update the items in the VIEW pane.  In this other program, though, all I have to do is select the folder where the other data channels are stored by either clicking on it or cursoring to it and all graphs, tables, etc. are automatically updated.  This is a tremendous time-saver, and makes it easy to browse through different data sets to find what I am looking for. 

Implementing something like this in DIAdem would be really helpful.  I love DIAdem, but it is frustrating that it doesn't do what this other program does.  I suspect there are not too many people out there that use this other program and DIAdem.  If there are, I hope that they will weigh in on this issue by adding a comment to this post.  Even if you don't use both, think about how much time you could save if DIAdem operated like the other program.

2 Comments
AndreasH_Ha
NI Employee (retired)

Hi AlphaTreo,

so from what you described, the other (unnamed) application treats a folder like a data set. All of the channels belong together, somehow. So switching to a different folder is like switching to another dataset.

Can you please let me know what file format is used for the data in the folder ?

If we could treat the whole folder as a dataset, all you need to do is switching to a different dataset (folder). That in fact is very easy in DIAdem

Please let me know what file format your are using so that I can think further whether there is a way to group the files in a folder as if it were a single dataset.

Andreas

Walter_Rick
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined

Hello

Thank you for your request. We understand your suggestion but given the age of this entry and the fact that just a few sponsors are supporting it, we have decided to decline this suggestion and prefer to develop more frequently requested features instead. We hope you understand this. 

Greetings

Walter