NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

DIAdem Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
JuliaDawkins

New channel type "calculation channel" in Data Portal

by Member JuliaDawkins on ‎06-08-2011 09:54 PM

Rather than a channel that has a "fixed" value (numeric or string), this new "calculation channel" type would be a function of other channels.  Currently, if Channel3 = Channel1 + Channel2, and then I change the values for either Channel1 or Channel2, I have to re-execute the calculation

ChnCalculate("Ch(""Channel3"") = Ch(""Channel1"") + Ch(""Channel2"")")

Now, if there was a "calculation channel" where I could define Channel 3 as "Channel1 + Channel2", I wouldn't need to perform this re-execution! 

Another way to explain is to have a channel that works like Excel calculation cells.  The cell calculation stays the same, and when the input cells change, the result cell is automatically updated. 

I'm not sure if I explained this well, please ask for clarification if necessary. 

Comments
by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎08-25-2011 06:19 PM

Hi Julia,

I've wanted this exact functionality for a long time.  Thanks for bolstering my case with R&D.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

Nnational Instruments

by Member MortI80 on ‎04-19-2012 03:44 AM

Very nice idea, this would be really helpful... 

by Member Marred Cheese on ‎06-15-2012 09:13 AM

This is a must.  Since most of your users are probably coming from an Excel background, they expect this capability to be there.  When I started using DIAdem, I was pretty surprised that all calculations didn't work this way.  I feel that without this feature, I have to fall back on scripting a lot more.

by Member Marred Cheese ‎06-15-2012 09:59 AM - edited ‎06-15-2012 10:01 AM

<deleted comment since I put it in the wrong thread by mistake>

by Member 唐老鸭 on ‎09-27-2014 09:26 PM

by Member 唐老鸭 on ‎09-27-2014 09:26 PM

抓 捕 徐 才 厚

About DIAdem Idea Exchange

Do you have a feature idea for how to improve NI DIAdem? Submit and vote on ideas now!

1. Browse by label or search in the DIAdem Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea. Note: the DIAdem Idea Exchange is not the appropriate forum to submit technical support questions.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see implemented!

The DIAdem R&D team is committed to reviewing every idea submitted via the DIAdem Idea Exchange. However, we cannot guarantee the implementation of any DIAdem Idea Exchange submission until further documented.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count