From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JuliaDawkins

Make REPORT object oriented

Feature was just released with DIAdem 2012.

Because it's so much easier to write scripts for (like VIEW)!

9 Comments
Brad_Turpin
Trusted Enthusiast

Hi Julia,

This is a VERY high priority on R&D's roadmap.  Unfortunately, it is also a very time consuming and dangerous feature.  If we started from scratch we would have to come up with some way to re-use existing TDR files and VBScripts, something like the AUT ==> VBS converter we added in DIAdem 8.0 when we introduced VBScript as the new scripting language.  There are other implementation options that could natively continue to support existing TDR files and Graph...() VBScript commands, but those approaches may restrict what we can accomplish.

I personally believe this will happen, but it's not something we can do quickly, both from an implementation and a testing perspective.  I use the non-object Graph...() functions too, and I've been asking for an object-oriented approach for REPORT for a long time now.  Know that I continue to lobby for this and that R&D agrees that it needs to be done.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

And expose the objects via .net!

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
AndreasH_Ha
NI Employee (retired)

Hello TCPlomp,

How would you like to use this API in .NET ? There is no specific .NET wrapper for DIAdem, but what you can do today is using the Active-X interface to launch DIAdem and execute scripts. Those scripts then can also use the REPORT API.

Do you think about using DIAdem as a pure report generation engine from .NET ?

Describing what you have in mind can help us to better understand the benefits you expect.

Andreas

TCPlomp
Trusted Enthusiast

Yes using .net as an interface would allow us in LabVIEW to alter reports (add graphs, change channels) etc. so we can in a for us well-known environment adjust our reports.

For this purpose a Head-less DIADem would suffice.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
AndreasH_Ha
NI Employee (retired)

Thanks for explaining. That makes a lot of sense.

fotonik

Hello,

My vote for "Make REPORT object oriented".

Best Regards,

Piotr

Otmar
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Development
This is in development, it will not be part of DIAdem 2011 but look for it in an upcoming version.
Otmar D. Foehner
Otmar
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Beta
This feature is available in the DIAdem 2012 BETA version (http://www.ni.com/beta). We would greatly appreciate everyone who was interested in this feature to test the 2012 Beta version and provide feedback before DIAdem 2012 releases.
Otmar D. Foehner
dietfons
Status changed to: Completed
Feature was just released with DIAdem 2012.